The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I changed my tanks to live plants. My 55g (the tank I've had problems with) i got the finnex 24/7 lighting. My other tank, 38 gallon, I just put some old leds on it and a 10$ plant bulb from walmart (crystal clear, beautiful and healthy, no co2).... but my 55 has kept this haze in the water. It's barely noticeable on the photo, but I want it to look beautiful. I started off with co2, dosing, and new lights thinking it would look great, but its just not. My fish started getting droupsy, and after several dying, I moved them all to my 38 gallon, going on 2 weeks now... I started treating my 55 like my 38. I removed the co2, stopped dosing, cut back on water changes and lowered lighting... 2 weeks later, it still has this fog. I'm gonna post my pictures I just took and the water i tested.... maybe I can get some in site on what's wrong.... I would really like to fix this problem cause company sees this tank. My 38 is in my bed room lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

That's grass, dying

The sand has some kinda brown algea

Also my water is very soft. My angel fish love it but my live bearers don't seem to be able to breed in it.

Also pond snails keep dying. My nerite snails are fine.

My 38g... not sure how much you can tell from the pictures, but this one is much clearer.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
What are you using for a substrate? Has the tank recently been set up? How old are your test kits? Is the ammonia test yellow or green? Can't tell from the pictures.

You tank looks like it is either going through a algae bloom or hasn't been fully cycled.

There are lots of people that have had algae issues with the Finnex lights. Too much light for too long, ect... Unless this is a algae bloom, lights are not causing the milky haze you have in your tank.

Any chance you can have your water tested elsewhere? I don't trust API test kits and if this is a cycle issue, it needs to be dealt with via many water changes. If the tank has be set up recently or you swapped out the substrate entirely, odds are the brown algae is diatoms.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's probably 7 months old now, it had eco complete only and about 2 months ago, I caped it with black diamond sand. It did the algea bloom, the whole thing was green, very thick green. Then it faded away but the white haze is still there... I think the Ammonia had a slight green... I'm about to take out my last few fish and do a 100% water change and vacuum the subtract. I was hoping it would just clear up if I set back and let it do its thing.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I've been thinking about this since this morning.

If you suspect you have a mini cycle on your hands, squeeze out a sponge or filter pad from your other tank into this one. I don't believe in the 'instant cycle" mantra of doing this, but if that is the problem it should resolve in a few days. It may not hurt to do this anyway since you plan on doing a 100% water change and vac.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did the water change and vacuumed as much as I could. I'm trying to be gentle cause I barely have any grass left . I figured the Ammonia was from the plants dying off cause after the algea bloom the water test showed everything was good... I actually thought about doing a slight water change on the 38 and use the water i take out and put in the 55. Plus do the filter thing like you said... my 38 has a few pieces of drift wood I could possibly put in the 55. Maybe they have some good bacteria on it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well after that water change, I only put my pleco in the tank. The water hasn't clouded back up yet but I think the PH is kinda high plus there is a slight amount of Ammonia. Maybe it's just going through another pre cycle when I capped it with sand.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Is your pH naturally that high or is there something in the tank that is making it high?

Other than that, everything looks pretty good. The ammonia levels are definitely lower from the first pictures you posted.

Capping can cause mini cycles. As mentioned previously, using aged filter media will clear that problem up in a few days. If you do go that route, just check the ammonia levels so you'll know if you need a water change or not. It wouldn't be nearly as many water changes if you were trying to maintain a mini cycle without the filter media from another tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.