The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i have a discus tank that i thought i was doing a good job with..but when i came back from a 1 week vacation my water was so cloudy i could hardly see through it...i had my boyfrind feed them while i was away and he says he only fed them what i told him and they were not overfed..i did a 50% waterchange right away!! it helped a lil but it went right back to being cloudy in 2 days time!! this was a fully cycled tank (18 months) and i dont know what the heck it is...is this what pple call green water ? i dont know how to fix it :(

here are a few pics...but its actually a bit more cloudy then the pic shows..im scared for my fish!!! will this effect discus ? i find them being less active :(

PLEASE HELP "cry"

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh i suppose i should give some tank info >.< sorry!!

tank is 90 us gallons a ph of 6.8 , 83 degrees F. no ammonia or nitrates. i use activated carbon..and as for the light i dont know much about it as i got it for free.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
UV Sterilizer

·
Registered
91 Posts
Green water is definately your problem and an UV sterilizer is definately the way to go. If you have ever noticed a black box or light fixture looking thingy that glows blue in a doctors office or hospital, that is a type of UV sterilizer. Many micro organisms are killed when exposed to ultraviolet light so when you put one in line on your filtration system
it does an excelent job of cleaning up your water.

If you don't want to buy a sterilizer you can always just do a 3 day blackout. No peeking! Cover the tank with a heavy blanket and unplug your lights and don't touch it even to feed your fish. They will be fine without food for three days.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Wow, you guys have some good eyes if you can tell that it is a algae bloom over something else. You can stick a white paper towel in the water (doesn't have to go in entirely) and if it comes out with any green on it, it's an algae bloom. If not, have you tested for the presence of ammonia? Could be algae, but a UV is an expensive item if it was not needed.

Sounds like the tank was overfed to me while you were gone.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If it is green water I don't really know why you are freaking out so much. It is not harmful to your fish, in fact I was trying to grow green water as a food source for Rainbowfish fry. It may not be aesthetically pleasing but it isn't harmful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.