The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Literally, brand new tank. I added Flourite (red) and some pea gravel as the substrate, but now the tank has cloudy water. I can barely see 3" into the tank and no have clue as to why. There is nothing else in the tank except for the substrate, filters, heater, and water (obviously). I know the Flourite will make the water cloudy for a little bit of time, but the red cloudiness has gone away. Now it's just a white cloudy and I don't know why. I ran the pea gravel through some water for a little bit, but I probably did too quick of a rinsing.

Any advice?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Be patient. Its probably just fine dust from the pea gravel. Let the system run. You could try some water changes if you are that impatient. But it will likely take some time to clear.

·
Registered
480 Posts
LOL i am too! I'm all about instant gratification. I probably would have changed the water since nothing was in there.

But if i've learned anything about this hobby, is that patience is key! I dont always succeed with that.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
You could try siphoning out all the water and refilling the tank very slowly. Using a piece of bubble wrap helps diffuse the water flow very nicely. That will remove the tiny floaters you have right now.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I woke up this morning and a good majority of the cloudiness has gone away. But now I notice the dust particles (which were floating around from the pea gravel) have settled on the bottom. If I make any movement that is real close to the bottom of the tank, I disturb the dust and it starts floating around again. I'm assuming siphoning the substrate will help get these dust particles out of my tank?

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Cleaning the mechanical filtration pads,sponges,can help.
Would clean them frequently maybe each day, and this should help.
Would clean these in dechlorinated water or water from the tank after water change.
I spent nearly four hours rinsing 90 lbs of sand for 80 gal tank last year, and water was crystal clear after an hour.
rinhse ,rinse,rinse some more.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I doubt water clarifier will help as it's just fine dirt from the pea gravel which needs to settle. The water is pretty clear now anyway (I can see the back of my tank finally), it's just when I make any movements around the substrate that disturbs it.

I'll make sure to clean out the filters I have as well as siphoning the substrate. This should help get the fine dirt out of the substrate

·
Registered
230 Posts
i had the same problem with dust a few times.

if your tank is basically empty, just run the filter full-bore with floss. rinsing/replacing the floss often (like 2 or 3 times a day) helps.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I agree with the water change...you could do two things: 1) carefully hold the siphon just over the gravel and suck out the lightest particles or 2) disturb the substrate so its up again and change a ton of water. Since you dont have anything in the tank you'll be fine. Its good you didnt put anything in the tank, you can resolve this issue easily with out having to worry about the variable of plants and fish.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i had this thought when it last happened.

how about emptying the tank, drying everything out and the vibrating/shaking it until all the fine sediments settle to the bottom with the coarser stuff rising to the top?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well I wouldnt worry about stripping down the tank. Just do one heavy water change and then wait a day ortwo and change out 20%. that will clear up your water to almost crystal clear. The water change itself will disturb any sediments and fine particles for the filter to catch. Also give the filter media a good cold water rinse.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.615682,-88.302823

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.