The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I have two established planted tanks currently experiencing cloudy, milky water.

Both are heavily planted and have been running just fine for the last 1-2 years. I’ve tested the water for both and have 0 ammonia, zero nitrites. And 5-10ppm nitrates.

Lately, my water has gotten cloudy right after a weekly water change. After 5-6 days, the water is for the most part, clear until the water change and then it gets cloudy again.

I do 50% water change for the 20 gallon because I dose ferts, run co2, and dose using the EI method. Plant growth is great. The tank is stocked with 6 guppies and 6 ottos. That’s it.

On the 10 gallon, I change 20% weekly because it’s heavily stocked with endlers and they’re constantly breeding. This weakened, I skipped the water change on the 10 gallon and the water is clear. I changed 50% of the water in the 20 gallon and it’s cloudy again.

In short, water change = cloudy water.

I’m not doing anything to disrupt the beneficial bacteria so I don’t think it’s a mini-cycle. Also, I use ADA Clear Water which removes phosphates and silicates and the water becomes crystal clear for a day or two before becoming cloudy again. What could this mean? It’s driving me absolutely insane!

I hope I provided enough info. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. Have you checked your substrate? It may be caused by dust or dirt washing off when you're adding the water. Maybe you can try washing the substrate first by running water. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts