The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cloudy water, established tank, 6 weeks running

1668 3
I have a 90 gallon with 35 gallon sump. 4 x 55 HO T5 bulbs on 8 hours a day. Substrate is 3 layers, fluorite, organic miracle grow, black SMS. CO2 is injected through an stone in the sump. The sump has that shredded PVC stuff, heater, and pump in it.

Does with 30ml of excel and 30 ml of Macro micro mix daily.

Fish and plants are doing fine.

I have cloudy water. Had it for 6 weeks. Tried no lights, little water changes, big water changes, even have purigen in the over flow box now. Nothing is working.

This started after I cleaned the sump, and changed the water at the same time. Bone head move, I know. But with the number fish and plants I have, it should cycled back by now.

I use prime to declorinate my water....any ideas?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
I guess "have patience" is my only suggestion. When I changed from a cascade 700 to a cascade 1500 filter in my 72 bow, I had at least a month of really cloudy water. I was super embarrassed and this was the only pic I took. Fairly abruptly around week 5 it cleared up on it's own. The only thing I did to 'help things along' was upping the volume of water changes a little bit.

Picture was for an unrelated thread and details my overflow drain

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Does with 30ml of excel and 30 ml of Macro micro mix daily.
You're dosing your macros and micros together each day? The white cloud you are seeing may be the iron precipitating out.

Try dosing the macros one day without the micros. The next day, switch it to dose just the micros and not the macros. Do this for a week, dosing only one of the two each day, alternating which one you dose each time.

If that's the cause, the white cloud should go away pretty fast. Doing a large water change before you start may help speed things up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.