The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I’ve had 3 dwarf gouramis in my tank for 4 weeks now with no issues.
Today I noticed a cloudy/ lumpy thing on the left eye of one of my gouramis. I’m not sure what it is. The fish is still active and eating. The rest of the body seems fine. Just on his forehead I’m wondering if there’s an ulcer or something? I might just be looking to much at him looking for faults now that I saw this eye issue. All the other fish in the tank are fine.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Is it possible that there was an injury to the eye? It looks kind of like a bacterial infection or maybe parasites. I'd start by working to get and keep water parameters pretty pristine so there's one less thing to worry about. Have you tested your water recently?

·
Registered
71 Posts
It may be an injury, as so, I'm suspecting it's a bacterial infection, dose with bacterial meds, or general cure. that should be a temporary fix. For the long term however, @Plinkploop was spot on, find your water parameters and see if anything is off, and take immediate action if this occurs. The better your water, the better your fish.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I checked the water parameters and they are all okay and within normal limits and no change from the previous few sets I’ve taken over the weeks.

Looks like both eyes are involved now and the opposite eye now also looks more like pop eye.
I just don’t know where to get antibiotics that are broad spectrum from? Do I get them from the vet or can I buy them over the counter / online somewhere?
The fish is less active now but I guess it’s in pain from the eye swelling?

I did isolate the fish but do I have to treat the whole community tank too even though they are okay?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.