The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up my first planted tank. It is 100 gallons and I used miracle grow and pool sand for the base. I have had it running for a week but still have some cloudiness. Any suggestions?

917 Posts
I just set up my first planted tank. It is 100 gallons and I used miracle grow and pool sand for the base. I have had it running for a week but still have some cloudiness. Any suggestions?
Actual cloudiness (like white water) isn't normal for a cycle. It's probably dust from the sand that didn't get washed off, if you washed it. When I set up my 5 gallon, I used Flourite Black and the water was always crystal clear throughout the entire cycle.

Put tons of filter floss in the filter to catch the particles. In addition, do a daily water change to remove the cloudy water and replace it with clear water. It doesn't really matter if there's nothing in the tank, or just plants. It's cycling so I assume there are no fish in there... It probably doesn't matter other than for your sake of wanting to enjoy the tank.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Actual cloudiness (like white water) isn't normal for a cycle. It's probably dust from the sand that didn't get washed off, if you washed it. When I set up my 5 gallon, I used Flourite Black and the water was always crystal clear throughout the entire cycle.
That's because you used fluorite.

Cloudiness is common in a new dirted tank. Your dirt has to get biologically stabilized for its new aquatic environment. There are a ton of free nutrients floating around in your tank right now (miracle grow is probably overkill) and the bacteria in there is having a nice big party. If you want to speed things up, throw in some floating plants to soak up excess ferts.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
And don't do water changes when your tank is cycling. That is completely counter-productive. Guppy*5 is giving you high tech tank advice. In a dirted tank, cycling starts before any fish go in because of the high nutrient content of soil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.