The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
'I believe, from years of experience, that cloudiness in an aquarium is most often from nitrifying bacteria. I know this because if I use an old filter, with loads of bacteria, in a new tank with lots of nitrites from recent fertilization, (the tank had no filter so the nitrites were floating around without being sucked into a filter with nitrifying bacteria already working) it immediately becomes cloudy. The newly introduced bacteria now have food, and begin gobbling up, clouding the tank. Collecting that bacteria on the filter once it is running, takes time. In the meantime, cloudy tank!' Any thoughts?

This is completely wrong! Nitrifying bacteria will not cause cloudy water!
Some people mistakenly assume that the bacterial bloom is the result of the nitrifying bacteria, but this is wrong. Nitrifying bacteria grow much too slowly to cause a bloom and cloud the aquarium water. I hear people say it is nitrifying bacteria ALL THE TIME! It is not.

I am surprised I didn't get a lot of responses to this thread.

An old filter, that has not been sterilized will harbor bacteria that will cloud the tank. So if you use any type of old un-sterilized equipment, substrate or filter material in your tank, you will likely get a clouded tank from the bacterial bloom. This will take about a week to resolve on it's own, but in the meantime, you need to aerate the tank well, because this bloom is taking oxygen from the water that your fish need.

I have often wondered if after all equipment and contents are sterilized, and you still get cloudy water, if it isn't a bacteria in the surrounding air that needs addressing, or it is in the tap water.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.