The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really at my wits end with this. 29g set up for over 2 years and lately it just gets cloudy and then clears up for a day or two and then gets cloudy again. All the parameters are in line (nitrates between 10-20, phosphates 1 or under, no ammonia or nitrite). It has a Fluval 206 that has mostly biofiltration, although I've had Purigen in it as well that hasn't done much. I'm really frustrated. I've also had some brownish algae that brushes away like diatoms that also started about the same time as the cloudiness. There are 10 ember tetras, some amanos, 3 otocinclus and a couple of rams, so it's not a stocking issue. ANY help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Without a pic its hard to say. However if it looks cloudy like diluted milk then its probably a bacterial bloom. You don't often get them in an established aquarium. Have you changed the filter media all at once? That could cause it, got rid of beneficial bacteria colonies. Here is a site that has a pic https://www.aquasabi.com/aquascaping-wiki_algae_bacterial-bloom. The only way to get rid of it right away is with a uv sterilizer. They sells little ones that go inside the tank LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR, I have seen them in petsmart on the shelf to. Otherwise it should go away on its own.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Once in a great while (though not in the last few years) I get something growing in the water column. I run a micron filter for a few hours, and it takes out whatever is growing at it doesn't come back for a long time. I use a Magnum 250, which I don't think is made anymore; not sure what's available nowdays. Handy tool to have around.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Once in a great while (though not in the last few years) I get something growing in the water column. I run a micron filter for a few hours, and it takes out whatever is growing at it doesn't come back for a long time. I use a Magnum 250, which I don't think is made anymore; not sure what's available nowdays. Handy tool to have around.
Yes that's right I forgot about those diatom filters. I have an old Magnum HOT filter that I used diatomaceous power in but it was always more of a hassle than UV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts