The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi, if you still have some left, I'd love to have some.
As for the snails, I am new to this. I assume you mentioned it because snails are generally not desirable in the tank. Is there any way to get rid of the eggs? Or, maybe snails are good for the tank as they eat up the algae and I don't need to worry about them?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Hi, if you still have some left, I'd love to have some.
As for the snails, I am new to this. I assume you mentioned it because snails are generally not desirable in the tank. Is there any way to get rid of the eggs? Or, maybe snails are good for the tank as they eat up the algae and I don't need to worry about them?
Thanks!
It's really a personal preference. Bladder snails don't cause problems, but if you overfeed your tank, they will reproduce very rapidly. If the population gets big, it will have an effect on bioload. Bladder snails do more for cleaning up excess vs. algae, nerites are your big algae munchers.

Eggs can be manually removed, there are also plant dips you can do to kill the eggs. I think permanganate dips eliminate eggs, check though if you're concerned.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's really a personal preference. Bladder snails don't cause problems, but if you overfeed your tank, they will reproduce very rapidly. If the population gets big, it will have an effect on bioload. Bladder snails do more for cleaning up excess vs. algae, nerites are your big algae munchers.

Eggs can be manually removed, there are also plant dips you can do to kill the eggs. I think permanganate dips eliminate eggs, check though if you're concerned.
Sounds good, count me in please! Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yep. I'm always sure to mention them because some people welcome them, but some avoid them like the plague. They keep 2/3 of my tanks with 0 algae, one gets direct sun and is inhabited by goldfish that eat snails, or it would be algae-free, as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts