The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've decided to quit microworms - my roommate did a happy-dance when I told her.

First 8 people to post here and then PM me will get a portion of microworms in media, weighing between 2.5oz and 4.5 oz. Winners pay flat $2 shipping, for easy numbers. One portion per person!

Claimed:

1. KribsDirect
2. haterr
3. Solcielo lawrencia
4. Charlest
5. sp33drhno
6. ufymich
7. *claimed by local non-profit*
8. *claimed by local non-profit*

·
Registered
125 Posts
They're great for feeding livebearer fry. I keep a culture for that. I started off feeding oatmeal, but transitioned to potato flakes and they seem to last longer and generate less scent. The potato flakes seem to be superior in general.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're great for feeding livebearer fry. I keep a culture for that. I started off feeding oatmeal, but transitioned to potato flakes and they seem to last longer and generate less scent. The potato flakes seem to be superior in general.
This! My current cultures are in oatmeal but if I ever do them again it WILL be in potatoes, as there is less scent for sure.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've decided to quit microworms - my roommate did a happy-dance when I told her.

First 8 people to post here and then PM me will get a portion of microworms in media, weighing between 2.5oz and 4.5 oz. Winners pay flat $2 shipping, for easy numbers. One portion per person!

Claimed:

1. KribsDirect
Still got any microformats up for grabs? I'd be interested.

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
I received them in the mail today. Thanks! But I have a few questions:

What am I supposed to do with them? What are the worms supposed to look like in the oatmeal matrix? What's the yeast for? And how do I remove the worms? (I assume the worms are to feed fish with, am I correct?)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What am I supposed to do with them?
I assumed you'd have known what to do before they arrived, or I'd have sent directions already! :p

So now that you've got your culture, you'll need:

Container with lid (tupperwares work well) with small airholes - you can use a pin to pierce plastic lids

Oatmeal OR instant potatoes

Live, dry yeast (as for baking)

-------------

So fill the container with about a 1/4" layer of oatmeal/potatoes, and then add tank water (or tap, I've worked it both ways) until things are moist but not soupy. Sprinkle a bit of yeast on top, and then add the worm starter culture. Close the lid (remembering the air holes) and set in a warm part of the house. Colder temperatures are fine too, but will promote slower growth.

What are the worms supposed to look like in the oatmeal matrix?
The worms, once established, will be hard to see unless you shine a light onto them. Once there's a glare, you'll see them shimmering/glistening of their own accord as they wiggle about the surface of the medium.

What's the yeast for?
The worms feed on the yeast and bacteria, which feeds on the oatmeal/potato.

And how do I remove the worms?
Once your culture is established, the worms will begin to creep up the sides of the container. Once this happens, just use a finger (or Q-tip, or spatula/etc) to swipe some off the side and swish into your tank. Just take care not to get any medium-goop or it'll cloud your water.

(I assume the worms are to feed fish with, am I correct?)
These worms are too tiny to feed many species at adult-size; they're usually used to feed fry when they're too small to accept other foods - each worm feeding will have different generations of worm to accommodate different sizes of mouth. The worms do live for a time in the water, which helps with water quality.

Adult nano fish can also enjoy the worms, though ideally as a supplement rather than a staple. My trichopsis pumila really enjoy them.

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
I assumed you'd have known what to do before they arrived, or I'd have sent directions already! :p
I was just too thrilled with the idea of free worms!

I assume it smells so bad because of the bacteria feeding off the oatmeal? Even though it's triple bagged, it still smells. Thanks for the instructions. I'll have to get a container to transfer them into it.

Thanks again for the worms!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts