The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a dual stage concoa set up off a member here and am experience heavy co2 run off into the bubble counter even when the solenoid is not powered. i understand that co2 will continue through the NV and BC for a while but this is definitely not normal.

heres a description of setup:

-2 stage Concoa regulator
-#10 aluminum tank, I bought it brand new
-3x Fabco NV55
-6x total check valves made by Clippard. Actually, all the fittings are Clippard branded
-Clippard Solenoid which I have hooked up to a mechanical timer
-3x JBJ Bubble counters.

since i had the unit i removed one of the fabco NV 55. it was faulty, im in the middle of fixing it (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=200814). i plugged the manifold with a 1/8th plug and thread sealant. no leaks.

heres a video of whats going on:
http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n263/vu_nguyen/fish tank/?action=view&current=IMG_1469.mp4
at low pressure nothing seems to run off. cranked past 20 psi, lots of run off with no solenoid plugged in. ive tried the cranking it up and plugging and unplugging the solenoid to help clean it which helped but failed after i cranked pressure up to 30 psi. so... am i suppose to just take this thing apart and try cleanning it or just replacing it? what do i look for if i am taking it apart to clean? is this even a failure of solenoid or i am doing something else wrong?

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
I would try removing you bubble counters, opening the needle valves up all the way, crank your your working pressure up as high as it goes and then open ans close the solenoid a bunch of times rapidly. If its just clogged, it might dislodge the debris. Also, if that's one of the newer clippards, its not gonna last long anyway.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies. i tried that oldpunk. i think the solenoid is officially a failure. how is the clippard mouse solenoid? im either gonna ask for a refund or invest in replacing the solenoid. damn solenoids are expensive.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
If you wanna keep the manifold, I wouldn't get a mouse. Unless you're comfortable with drilling and tapping you'd be stuck with all that stuff hanging from a small 10-32 fitting. If I was you, I would ask kevmo911 for some of the MAC part numbers for their solenoids. That's gonna be the most cost effective rought. If not that, just bite the bullet and get a 6011 from aquariumplants.com.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea im not sure i want to do all that. i been reading your thread on building a reg, was thinking of tearing this thing apart and starting it all over with stainless steal parts or chromed parts. of course that means more money which is something i dont have right now. the 6011 is probably my best bet.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
If you wanna keep the manifold, I wouldn't get a mouse. Unless you're comfortable with drilling and tapping you'd be stuck with all that stuff hanging from a small 10-32 fitting. If I was you, I would ask kevmo911 for some of the MAC part numbers for their solenoids. That's gonna be the most cost effective rought. If not that, just bite the bullet and get a 6011 from aquariumplants.com.
about the MAC solenoid, introduced it to kevin a while ago, the 35 series. but forgot to mention the MAC have issue if the condition is used, there is something can easily go wrong due to fragility on one of the parts/internal seal(it is different design, all three way with a release hidden button on top).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.