The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read plenty online that you should not keep these snails in a PH below 7 because the acidity actively eats at their shells, however they are often recommended as great algae aids in planted tanks.

When running CO2 and often with aqua soil you will see the PH drop below 7 at least when the CO2 is active. So wouldn't these not work in a system like that? Or are they okay if the CO2 isn't always running?

My PH is about 7.2 when the CO2 is off but when it's on it drops to around 6.6 to 6.8. I have quite a few large seriyu stones that leach a lot of calcium. Would I be able to get some Clithon snails to assist my Amanos and Otos are will the snails suffer?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I have naturally soft water and i keep nerites and pond snails. They need calcium in their diets if you're going to keep them long term in soft water or their shells will erode. I've kept them in gh 1-2 ph below 6 settings feeding supplemental calcium and they've done fine. Besides that the ph fluctuation from co2 alone isn't going to affect the snail at all. It's only when you get into low hardness (calcium, magnesium etc) that you get erosion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have naturally soft water and i keep nerites and pond snails. They need calcium in their diets if you're going to keep them long term in soft water or their shells will erode. I've kept them in gh 1-2 ph below 6 settings feeding supplemental calcium and they've done fine. Besides that the ph fluctuation from co2 alone isn't going to affect the snail at all. It's only when you get into low hardness (calcium, magnesium etc) that you get erosion.
Thanks for the info! I'll give them a shot. Worst case scenario, I have a low tech tank with a mystery snail that is doing great so I can always move them if they're shells do ever show damage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.