The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When installing co2 line onto the solenoid, is there an input side and output side or does it not make a difference which direction you go? I get reduced bubble rate after awhile and when it is powered off at night it does not shut off co2. I've blown it out with 50 PSI co2 and canned air. It will work while testing but when it put it back together, it will reduce bubble rate and not stop bubbles when powered off. I've tested it by blowing canned air through it and my hand on the otherside to feel the air going through and it would stop going through when the solenoid is powered off. I just noticed that every picture I've seen of the Clippard has the needlevalve (output) on one particular hole. The opposite hole that I was using. I'm wondering if the co2 pressure is coming from the wrong side, it might prevent the valve from closing or opening fully. I hope this discription is not totally confusing.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can go either way, it does not matter.
That's what I assumed since it doesn't have an arrow on it like other brands. It has a symbol on it but it isn't clear to me if it is indicating direction. I'm better with electrical than mechanical. I looked on Clippard's web site and googled my brains out but couldn't find anything that indicated directionality at all. It seems that every picture of it installed showed it installed opposite of what I did. I guess I will try it their way to see if it makes any difference. Then I have to see about a replacement or refund. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses everybody. I did switch it around and it does appear to be working correctly now. I took it apart twice before and managed to install it incorrectly both times. Go figure. The confusing part is when it is open, air can be sprayed through in either direction. I then finally noticed that it seemed to spray through in one direction a little better than the other. It was amazing that I couldn't find a description of correct installation. Maybe for people in that industry, the label is obvious. An arrow would have been nice. Anyway, enough of my lame excuses.

Thanks again.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Also notice that you can read the words on the solenoid correctly (left to right) when it is mounted in the correct direction of flow.

If it was mounted wrong, you would read it in the reverse direction or right to left.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
when in doubt, blow into the solenoid. that'll tell you what direction to put it. This method works for check valves too :)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when in doubt, blow into the solenoid. that'll tell you what direction to put it. This method works for check valves too :)

I did that and air will go through from both directions. I did notice later that it goes through the correct direction better than the wrong direction, at least on the Clippard anyway. Testing was difficult because that baby gets to hot to hold after awhile. I peaked in the ports and noticed that one port looked different than the other, giving me the suspicion that there might be directionality involved. :redface:

I appreciate Mike from Sumo Regulators giving me advice on this. It wasn't expected, since I didn't buy the solenoid from him. I certainly will the next time though. It was nice to get proper advice before my tank turned into an algae factory again.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
Glad you dropped us a line over at SuMo. We were happy to help.

It's all about camaraderie and enjoyment of the hobby....isn't it? ;)

Best way to check flow pattern on one of those little brass check valves (if you can't see the arrow, that is) is to suck on the ends of them. While the cracking pressure on them isn't all that high really, you'll blow until your blue in the face before you get one to pop. Best bet is to draw on it. It will crack easily.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts