The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick Question:

Attempting to put together my first regulator build and I am using the Clippard ET-2M-24 solenoid. The manifold has a 10/32 port and 1/8NPT port.

Am I correct in assuming the 1/8NPT is the "inlet" side (ie. closest to reg.) and the 10/32 threads are the "outlet" side?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...that gave me the answer. And for anyone wondering, Clippard Manifold part # 15490-2, the 1/8NPT thread is the inlet, 10/32 threads are the outlet.

Now on to my next problem. I accidentally disconnected the adjusting ring on the solenoid, causing it to fall in half and two small metal "washers" to spill onto the floor. They obviously go in a certain order, just have to determine which order that is...sigh.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
keep trying the combination. :biggrin:
there are 4 different combination.

The valve door ring with the plastic(Buna-N) normally goes into the bottom part first, metal spacer/ring follow.
sometimes the metal spacer goes in first.

The valve door ring with the protruding center plastic area facing the bottom hole.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do believe you are right Betta. I was able to find a blown-up diagram on their website and it looks as though, at least for my particular solenoid, that the valve door ring goes in first with the seal facing down followed by the spacer ring.

If I had a 24v dc converter handy I'd let you know if we were right :)

So much for the regulator build happening tonight, apparently I don't have everything. Off to the store tomorrow for a 24v DC converter and a 10/32 - 1/8NPT adapter, then we should be all set.

Thanks for the help again guys.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
I do believe you are right Betta. I was able to find a blown-up diagram on their website and it looks as though, at least for my particular solenoid, that the valve door ring goes in first with the seal facing down followed by the spacer ring.

If I had a 24v dc converter handy I'd let you know if we were right :)

So much for the regulator build happening tonight, apparently I don't have everything. Off to the store tomorrow for a 24v DC converter and a 10/32 - 1/8NPT adapter, then we should be all set.

Thanks for the help again guys.
You're gonna have some issues with finding the 10-32 adapter unless you have a truly spectacular local hardware store. I've never seen any 10-32 fitting in a brick-and-mortar store. And since my first suggestion would be to order one from Clippard, but they have a *minimum* $17 S&H charge (no, not kidding), I'd go with my second suggestion, which would be to post a WTB here for the necessary fitting(s).

As for the 24v adapter, if you're willing to wait a couple weeks, $5 or less shipped from China on Evilbay. Again, not kidding.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're gonna have some issues with finding the 10-32 adapter unless you have a truly spectacular local hardware store. I've never seen any 10-32 fitting in a brick-and-mortar store. And since my first suggestion would be to order one from Clippard, but they have a *minimum* $17 S&H charge (no, not kidding), I'd go with my second suggestion, which would be to post a WTB here for the necessary fitting(s).

As for the 24v adapter, if you're willing to wait a couple weeks, $5 or less shipped from China on Evilbay. Again, not kidding.
You are correct, however, I am going to return to the store where I purchased the solenoid. It is an industrial gas supply house that sells tubing, fitting, parts, etc. They did not have the solenoid (ET-2M-24) in stock, but were able to order it in direct from Clippard for me in 3 days (They are a Clippard distributor). I paid $29.97 for the solenoid and manifold, which I didn't think was too terribly bad.

So...with that being said, I am going to return there tomorrow and *hope* that they have the part I need. I did notice the last time I was in there that they had an entire wall of stainless Parker fittings and several aisles of brass fittings. I was quite impressed but was in a rush at the time so I didn't stop to look at particular items that I needed.

As for the 24v adapter, you are right about the imports, however I can easily filter for US shippers only and pay around $8-10 and have it here in a few days...OR...I can hit a few garage sales/flea markets and surely find some device there that uses one for a few bucks.

Thanks for the heads up though, useful information for anyone else attempting to use this solenoid.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
lucky guy, I will run around like a kid if there is a store full of parker stainless steel and clippard parts.
I am sure you can find the fittings you need, they have aisles of fittings/parts and they are the official clippard distributor. ( The popular clippard fittings are "stock" items, and less demand solenoid valves are "special order" or "manufacture order" items)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lucky guy, I will run around like a kid if there is a store full of parker stainless steel and clippard parts.
I am sure you can find the fittings you need, they have aisles of fittings/parts and they are the official clippard distributor. ( The popular clippard fittings are "stock" items, and less demand solenoid valves are "special order" or "manufacture order" items)
Bettatail, you are right. I just called there this morning and the parts I need are not carried in stock. To order them in from Clippard will take 5-7 days, which leads me in to my next question:

Has anyone tried to tap this manifold out? In other words retap the 10/32 threads into 1/8NPT? It appears the body is made of nickel(?), and while there isn't much room for forgiveness, it does appear that it can be done...anyone have any luck experience doing this?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Has anyone tried to tap this manifold out? In other words retap the 10/32 threads into 1/8NPT? It appears the body is made of nickel(?), and while there isn't much room for forgiveness, it does appear that it can be done...anyone have any luck experience doing this?
I think Bettatail does it all the time. I think he adds a 1/8F port on one of the untapped sides, and seals the 10/32 side, but I am sure he will confirm when he's online.

If you still decide to go for the adapter: EvilBay item 170748326216, I am pretty sure it's low grade steel.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nvladik said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProndFarms

I think Bettatail does it all the time. I think he adds a 1/8F port on one of the untapped sides, and seals the 10/32 side, but I am sure he will confirm when he's online.

If you still decide to go for the adapter: EvilBay item 170748326216, I am pretty sure it's low grade steel.
Interesting. I wonder why he doesn't tap over the 10/32 side? If thats the case I would still need a 10/32 plug. Of course I could always use a 10/32 bolt and flush cut the portion sticking out.

I think my impatience may get the better of me with this project, lol.

Thanks for the evilbay search as well.

Betta hurry up or I am going to start hacking into this thing lol.

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
it is hard to tap 1/8" npt port on the manifold, precision/depth and high speed drill are necessary, and the side wall of 1/8" npt port is too thin, failed several before I made useful one.

try to make larger UNF port other than the 10-32, and use adapter fittings to convert to NPT connection.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Regarding the Evilbay 10-32 to 1/8 adapter - not sure what it's made of, but the price suggests it's not steel. Possible, but also possible it's brass plated with something-or-other. But, more importantly, the description does not match the picture. Specifically, there aren't any male threads on the 1/8 side. Possibly 1/8" FNPT, but I'd definitely ask a question before buying. Always ask first whenever the pic doesn't match the description.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Success! I was able to successfully tap over the 10/32 threads and make a 1/8FNPT port. Also as an fyi, what I thought was a nickel body is in fact brass with nickel plating. Tough stuff!

And I agree about the evilbay pic, what was shown in the pic did not match the description.

Now to go scour around for a 24v ac adapter.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
congrats!

But, after you put everything together you will probably see leaks.....
If you see leaks, you will know why I failed several before I made useful one.

there is a trick to make 1/8" npt port on the manifold, and no leak.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bettatail said:
congrats!

But, after you put everything together you will probably see leaks.....
If you see leaks, you will know why I failed several before I made useful one.

there is a trick to make 1/8" npt port on the manifold, and no leak.
Thanks for telling me ahead of time. Very kind of you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.