The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up my 75 tank again and trying to get ahead of the game. Last time even after being set up for awhile I still struggled to get really clear water. (Right now I know the new dirt is causing a lot of stain, but I would like to start working it towards clear)

I have about 1 1/2 organic garden soil 85% capped with gravel, and 15% capped with blasting sand.

I have read a few threads on this, but the issue I keep running into is they suggest additives for the filtration system. I am running very low tech on the filtration system, only a HMF.

Any suggestions on what I can do to improve water clarity? Or because of my filtration, am I bound to the state that I am in?

And to clarify, it is not BAD, it just would like clearer if there was something more I could do.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Yep, basically your choices are purigen or activated carbon.
The first being more expensive, but you can clean it and reuse it, also it lasts quite long to start with (if your water is not too dirty).
Carbon is cheap, but needs to be replaced about weekly, so its a running expense and does your plants no favours.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
People have told you to add chemicals but do you know what is actually causing your water to not be clear...? Before going buy carbon and what not I would suggest changing the water in your tank. Fix the problem, don't just try to mask it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dont think anyone suggesting adding chemicals but the op did give us a real good clue:
I have about 1 1/2 organic garden soil
Garden soil typically contains peat which will release tannins into the water.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I dont think anyone suggesting adding chemicals but the op did give us a real good clue:

Garden soil typically contains peat which will release tannins into the water.

Carbon and purigen are chemical filtration.l, that will have to be replaced often at that. Carbon won't take tannins out the water any better than water changes. Also peat will stop producing tannins after a while. OP will do more for his/her tank by doing more or larger waterchanges so purigen or Carbon.

Being that they are restarting the tank, a far better suggestion would have been to soak the soil ahead of time to get the tannins to release....

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am quickly learning that while large water changes are great, in bigger tanks they are a real PITA. I am in love with my new carbon reactor. My ORP has never been higher
(even with ozone!) and my water doesn't even look like it's there.

Like I said, water changes are great but it might be worth your sanity to look into carbon.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Carbon and purigen are chemical filtration.l, that will have to be replaced often at that. Carbon won't take tannins out the water any better than water changes. Also peat will stop producing tannins after a while. OP will do more for his/her tank by doing more or larger waterchanges so purigen or Carbon.

Being that they are restarting the tank, a far better suggestion would have been to soak the soil ahead of time to get the tannins to release....

Obviously they have already built the tank so your suggestion is a little late therefore I dont believe soaking the soil is a better suggestion at this point. I'm not going to suggest that they tear down the tank. Peat will stop releasing tannins after awhile so in the meantime they should needlessly suffer unclear water? I'm not going to suggest that either when purigen works so well.

You may not like purigen but there are a ton of us on tpt that use it and have great luck with it. I noticed considerable improvements in plant health with it and I perform 20 to 30% water changes bi-weekly religiously. I have a large piece of wood that makes my rcs tank look like tea, your suggestion of more and larger water changes would cause me most likely to have dead shrimp on my hands.

Bump:
I am quickly learning that while large water changes are great, in bigger tanks they are a real PITA. I am in love with my new carbon reactor. My ORP has never been higher
(even with ozone!) and my water doesn't even look like it's there.

Like I said, water changes are great but it might be worth your sanity to look into carbon.
I agree but carbon is nowhere near as useful as purigen in a planted tank.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Purigen. 100%. Works great as a REUSEABLE tannin remover and also does some mystical nonsense supposedly polishing water but most importantly the BEST READILY AVAILABLE tannin remover on the market.

Reactions: thedood

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I dont think anyone suggesting adding chemicals
I'm at work, I dont even know why I wrote this.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just a head's up, Seachem released a polymer that's about 10% better than Purigen under their aquavitro line. I forget what it's called. It's like "super Purigen"

Kent makes a polymer that absorbs organics, but I tossed some in a micro stock solution and did the same with the purigen. After an hour the purigen was barely discolored, but the kent product was brown it had absorbed so much iron. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Bet it has a more than 10% price increase. LMAO

Bump:
Just a head's up, Seachem released a polymer that's about 10% better than Purigen under their aquavitro line. I forget what it's called. It's like "super Purigen"

Kent makes a polymer that absorbs organics, but I tossed some in a micro stock solution and did the same with the purigen. After an hour the purigen was barely discolored, but the kent product was brown it had absorbed so much iron. Just an FYI.
Yes, I knew of Seachem's new line.
They also have enhanced Flourish lines.
I have fixed my earlier errant post.
Thank you for pointing that out.:nerd:

Reactions: thedood

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I need to look this up again. I just bought enough purigen that I have two packs for every filter I have. I may buy two of the new polymer just to check it out. I need to read some reviews. I'm glad you mentioned this and brought it up. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I've used Purigen 24/7 in all my tanks for years, and swear by it for crystal water clarity and improved water quality & conditions through effective adsorption of undesirable dissolved matter.

However, I do intend to give Seachem's new Aquavitro product, Purfiltrum, a try once it's available here, but I suspect it's simply a modified Purigen - and whether or not it effectively does a better job than Purigen remains to be seen - I would bet though, that it's significantly more costly than Purigen.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.