The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the advice. I didnt have to start over. I used my powerhead and some patience and the water is crystal clear.

chaz

I combined my 2 10g shrimnp tanks into a single 18g bowfront. I bought some onyx-sand substrate....capped it off with black gravel which was in the previously mentioned 10g's. The onyx sand, even tho rinsed, has ruiined my water. Its milky white. I have let it rest, filtered it, changed it to no avail.

Do I have to start over?

chaz

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
I combined my 2 10g shrimnp tanks into a single 18g bowfront. I bought some onyx-sand substrate....capped it off with black gravel which was in the previously mentioned 10g's. The onyx sand, even tho rinsed, has ruiined my water. Its milky white. I have let it rest, filtered it, changed it to no avail.

Do I have to start over?

chaz
It will be that way for a while and give off dust grenades until the fine particles work themselves to the bottom....DC

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Onyx is the dirtiest substrate I have ever personally worked with. It needs to be rinsed or you will never get the water clear. Just the filter action alone will keep the dust suspended in the water column.

See my reply in your duplicate post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.