The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just happened to be at my local shop adjusting a vent fan on my lamp. i chatted a bit with the staff and they were wondering how my tank was going. i told them i had a slight out break of green water (just starting to get cloudy). i told them i was on the way to pick up a uv filter. he said there was a product out that works fairly well if i would like to try it out. why the hell not.

ada clear dash.

i added a few drops.

literally moments later, the protein layer on top of the water is gone. a few minutes later the water is noticeably clearer also.

they suggested one day black out, just no lights, no need to wrap up tank and all and reduce the ligth cycle to six hours. slowly adding more time over a weeks time.

only day one, but im very happy with the results. just fyi.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Interesting.....I run my UV all of the time now, so I am glad I have it, but if this really works it is nice for folks to have an alternative.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im still planning on getting an inline uv filter for my 18 gal tank, but for my small 10 gal, i didnt want yet ANTOHER piece of equipment blocking the view.

yeah, the clear dash works great.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
What does it conatin?

For GW clams also are supposed to be really really good... I'm going to be ripping out a huge portion of HG in my 55g and I'll have a few from a lfs to hopefully prevent GW!

-Andrew

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
ada clear dash.
please provide a link or more information make/model info off the bottle.
there is no need to leave the UV in your tank. many just use it during
the first 24 hours after a water change to keep things crystal clear.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Note, you said slight outbreak of green, key word: slight.

Excel, peroxide, copper, less light/blackout, willow brach extract(who knows, but seems promising), Daphnia, Clams, these can all clear up GW.
New tanks also can have particulate matter, that some think is GW at times, but it just algae growing on detritus.

Addign clarifyers, Alum etc can remove it.
Same with Activated Carbon/Purigen etc.

Sounds like that's is a more probable reasoning.

A good case of GW is very tough to remove with high light tanks, slight hazes due to slight inbalances, less light tanks are much much easier to rectify.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Note, you said slight outbreak of green, key word: slight.
...willow brach extract(who knows, but seems promising)...

A good case of GW is very tough to remove with high light tanks, slight hazes due to slight inbalances, less light tanks are much much easier to rectify.
Willow branch EXTRACT?? I haven't heard of this one. I've heard of willow branches but not extract have any links Tom?

Big cases of GW are a PITA! I have had a VERY BAD GW history in my 55g

Some people have UVS on all the time SPYPET I think you might want to make sure you know exactly what you're talking about before you post:flick: (use the SEARCH function)

Clams are filter feeders, they will help to take particulate and algae out of the water column

-Andrew

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Well if you have had a long history of GW. that's sort of telling also.
A UV works fine, I typically might run one the 24 hrs after a water change, you do not need more than that typically, you can run them 24/7 many do, but it's questionable as to the use/efficacy. Sorry, no vendors sell the Extract. But you can use the branches if it suits your fancy. There's 101 ways to kill GW, and if it's just a slight haze, then you are likely not quite doing something right, typically poor CO2 with high light.
The cure for any algae is really prevention, not ECA or clear dash.

Many folks have used clarifyers on tanks to remove GW, most fail, mild cases generally can be beaten with such products but it never addresses why you have the GW to start with, it never approaches the problem from a " What induces the algae spores to begin with? Why is the algae there to start with?"

I view algae as a tank signal that things could be done better for the plants.
That's always the primary focus.

Killing the algae and removing is the easy part.
A simple tightly bound Hagen quick filter will remove GW also for a few $.
Blackout will on many tanks as well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
of course you must address the issue why the gw appeared in the first place. it would be like topping off oil in a engine that leaks.

i guess, from rereading my original post, it does sound a bit snake oil-ish.

for my particular case, im thinking my little diy co2 is not cutting it. its not dependable, consistent source.

just wanted to share my experience with a product that is part of the solution for my gw case.

and as always, thanks tom for the input. always great to have the inhouse expert add his 2c.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Well, as stated, persistent GW and now and DIY CO2.......with higher light, yep, nice recipe for GW.

Work on that part, and the long term you will spend much less time chasing algae by the tail and be much less frustrated by algae.

I try to tell many folks this 1001 times, but they seldom listen, only to realize it many years later. Many give into the Dark side:)

Many want that quick easy fix. Grow the plants, algae is no longer much of an issue.

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 12 of 12 Posts