The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so in one day, my tank has become infested by a white slime. it is covering all of my plants. it is exactly like what forms on air stones with diy co2. that is the only way i can describe it. it's not a form of algae i know for sure because it is clear. when i use a toothbrush to take some out it is completely clear. this happened all of a sudden! nothing was added to the tank or anything. everything has been going so well with the tank and all of a sudden this crap! anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
fungus? sometimes it collects on driftwood and plecos eat it.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's on everything. not just rocks and driftwood. and it's not from my driftwood or anything. this tank has been set up for months. look at my journal.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so i took some photos. again, this is no algae. it is just a slime that took over in one single night and i have no clue where it came from. nothing was added or changed in the tank!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you use DIY CO2 in your tank?

If so, the problem could be that the yeast/sugar has gotten into your tank. This could have happened if you shook the bottle of yeast solution while connected via airline tubing to the tank.

I would suggest doing 50-90 percent water changes every day, even multiple times a day if possible to try to flush out the contaminated water. If you could, taking out the plants, and rinse them off well.

Also, check your filter media, for there might be white stuff clogged inside of its parts. Be sure to rinse that off as well.

Good luck, hopefully the problem will be solved soon. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no, this tank is pressurized.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looks like it could be some kind of bacterial slime, like cyanobacteria or dinoflagellates, but I'm not sure if they technically can be completely clear. They can be virtually any color otherwise, though.

What happens if you siphon out the clear slime? More just appears by the next morning/next few days?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
...eeeeWWWWWW. didja sneeze in the tank? :D

sorry, can't help you out, no idea on this one. Good luck though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts