The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 10g tank I'm setting up full of water, with just a powerhead running to keep things circulating.. however I noticed today a clear film has developed on the surface of the water.. has a hazy milky appearance and feels like a runny gel... what could this be? (there are no fish or plants in the tank and lights are not running)

It's been running for about 2 weeks

·
Registered
815 Posts
It is absolutely normal, it is basically in all tanks. It comes from the fish food, and fish waste. If you truly never want to see it again, get a surface skimmer, which skims the water surface to rid it of biofilm. I have a surface skimmer in my tank, and my water surface is crystal clear.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hey MaineAquatics, I think this is fairly common and accepted as "normal" though it's annoying. Some thought that it could be what's called "Eisen Bacteria" if that's a match for what you're describing.

I think I've had it on all my tanks at some point and it just comes and goes. It was worst on a tank that was set up below a cold air return vent, and despite the aquarium having a canopy, I wondered if I was getting "particles" from the air circulation dropping down into it and making it worse. Here's one thread about it: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/algae/78685-iron-bacteria-eisen-bacteria-2.html

Although those people were already having established tanks, unlike yours which is new without fish/feeding. Take a look and see if that's what you think you're dealing with or not, particularly the link in the first post to see if that's a match.

As for my own tanks - I've found no harmful effect on the fish - even the fish that take flakes from the top don't seem to be affected by it. And when I do a water change, I make sure to use a paper towel to wipe the glass every so often as the water level decreases, and that seems to help for a time. ANd like I said - it just seems to come and go on mine and so I've stopped paying attention to it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hey MaineAquatics, I think this is fairly common and accepted as "normal" though it's annoying. Some thought that it could be what's called "Eisen Bacteria" if that's a match for what you're describing.

I think I've had it on all my tanks at some point and it just comes and goes. It was worst on a tank that was set up below a cold air return vent, and despite the aquarium having a canopy, I wondered if I was getting "particles" from the air circulation dropping down into it and making it worse. Here's one thread about it: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/algae/78685-iron-bacteria-eisen-bacteria-2.html

Although those people were already having established tanks, unlike yours which is new without fish/feeding. Take a look and see if that's what you think you're dealing with or not, particularly the link in the first post to see if that's a match.

As for my own tanks - I've found no harmful effect on the fish - even the fish that take flakes from the top don't seem to be affected by it. And when I do a water change, I make sure to use a paper towel to wipe the glass every so often as the water level decreases, and that seems to help for a time. ANd like I said - it just seems to come and go on mine and so I've stopped paying attention to it.
Good to know its normal... I have this happen to my betta tank the next morning when the AC was on during the night. OR now when the window is slightly open over a cold night there is this film over the top.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

thanks!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.