The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

my 84G tank is doing well so far after 10 days. This was a used tank that came with substrate and few plants that I kept.

In the last few days though there has been an explosion of baby snails.

So far the only cleanup crem members are 5 Otos. Most of the fish in the tanl are relatively small and of course new plants are being added or moved all the time at this stage, so I don;t want to add anything disruptive, or out of scale with the other fish like a Pleco, or large loach.

Looks like the Chain Loach might fill the bill. What is the minimum number to keep of these. I've read 5, but don't want that many. Anyone have experience with them - 3 or so?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
143 Posts
Other possibilities include Botia Striata ("Zebra loach") and B. Kubotai ("Polka-dot loach" or "Angelicus botia")--both are beautiful, stay a very reasonable size of about 4 inches maximum and are fascinating to watch. Oh, and good snail eaters.

I would say no less than 3 if you want them to behave naturally. I have two striata, one kubotai, two morleti ("Skunk loach") and one modesta ("red/orange finned loach").

·
Registered
96 Posts
Manual removal, even though its brutal. Throw in some green vegetables and hours later remove, as it will have a ton of snails on it. Watch your feeding, excess food promotes snail reproduction. Avoid anti-snail medications.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have 6 chain loaches in a 55g and they are not a problem. They stay quite small. Mine are max 1 1/2 inches and I've had them for a couple of years.

They will not be too big for your 85g.

They are really quite entertaining and don't bother other fish. You didn't mention the type of snail. Because of their small size they tend to eat baby snails. I just pick out the large adult ones. Love them!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts