The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65/35 sand gravel mix.
am I wrong in thinking that you shouldn't use a gravel vac for sand, or is there a finer type of screen/bag I can get for sand cleaning?..It seems to me that it would be too fine for any debris to get through if it was too fine to let the sand through. how do you clean particulate matter off of the surface of the sand efficiently, without having to get in there and scoop the top layer of sand off, which is painstakingly slow?...I have a sifter attatchment that fits on my algae scraper, but it isn't fine enough and lets most of the dirt fall through with the sand :help:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Im sure that the answer is an obvious one, and when it is provided I will be a bit taken aback by my failure to observe the obvious, but I know I'm not the only one with this question, so I figured I would post a new thread so anyone else would be able to find it quickly and easily, if they needed it.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Just need to get close enough to the sand to lift the debri, but not so much sand.
Is a bit of trial and error, and some sand will inevitably get sucked up but sand is cheap and you can alway's add some.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You can put a piece of old panty hose over the end of the hose.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
When using sand , it does take a bit of "touch to get the debris without the sand. One way is too use both hands. One to wave something over the bottom to get the debris off the surface and where the tube will catch it. Second is the one I use as the two hands is awkward and I don't mind losing a little sand. I hold the tube somewhat off the bottom and wave it like a wand to create water movement to get the stuck debris loose. But not that I'm in a planted tank and find that nitrate is a good thing and not soemthing to be totally avoided, I do less serious sand cleaning. It finally occurred to me to wonder about my methods. Why am I removing debris if the only reason is to cut nitrate while at the same time adding nitrate? I now clean it to a point that the debris is not unsightly but leave quite a lot more than in former tanks. I work less, lose less sand and don't add as much nitrate for the plants. Works for me.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When using sand , it does take a bit of "touch to get the debris without the sand. One way is too use both hands. One to wave something over the bottom to get the debris off the surface and where the tube will catch it. Second is the one I use as the two hands is awkward and I don't mind losing a little sand. I hold the tube somewhat off the bottom and wave it like a wand to create water movement to get the stuck debris loose. But not that I'm in a planted tank and find that nitrate is a good thing and not soemthing to be totally avoided, I do less serious sand cleaning. It finally occurred to me to wonder about my methods. Why am I removing debris if the only reason is to cut nitrate while at the same time adding nitrate? I now clean it to a point that the debris is not unsightly but leave quite a lot more than in former tanks. I work less, lose less sand and don't add as much nitrate for the plants. Works for me.

I like that...now, does anyone have any suggestions on a good vac?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.