The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you with a 55gal or bigger... How often and to what extent do you clean your tank?

I feel that mine stays fairly clean on its own. I keep dead or dying Flora cleaned up. And I do weekly 50% water changes. I have a bristle nose pleco and amano shrimp.

I also have a lot of snails. I read that snails will only populate if they have a good food source. I really don't see the algae that they are eating but they keep populating. This is what brings me to this post. Thank you!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I used to clean once a week only but usually within the third day algae will start accumulating and I start to lose interest in my tank.

So now I have switched to a daily quick 5 mins of glass cleaning with a magnetic and stick scrubber and replacing my pre-filter floss and some fert dosing before leaving for work. Some days I also blast the more heavily planted sections of my tank to dislodge dirt. This keeps everything pristine just like an ada shop, and now I love looking at my tank all day every day.

Then once a during week water changes this I can really focus on the layout, plant trimmings, replantings and scrubbing all hardscapes, which takes about an hour with my 55 gallon.

Splitting up these different tasks instead of leaving it all til the end of the week has really improved my approach to maintenance.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to clean once a week only but usually within the third day algae will start accumulating and I start to lose interest in my tank.

So now I have switched to a daily quick 5 mins of glass cleaning with a magnetic and stick scrubber and replacing my pre-filter floss and some fert dosing before leaving for work. Some days I also blast the more heavily planted sections of my tank to dislodge dirt. This keeps everything pristine just like an ada shop, and now I love looking at my tank all day every day.

Then once a during week water changes this I can really focus on the layout, plant trimmings, replantings and scrubbing all hardscapes, which takes about an hour with my 55 gallon.

Splitting up these different tasks instead of leaving it all til the end of the week has really improved my approach to maintenance.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
You replace your filter floss every day? are you using a canister filter? What do you "blast" the dirty sections with?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Rectangle Grass

I have a low tech system and seem to keep it it pretty clean with weekly 25% water changes. I feel that my 50 gallon has a higher current than most setups I have seen, and the extra flow seems to help with my algea woes.

I do get a bit of Black Beard Algea towards the top and have come to terms with a little bit of that. I would like to get to the point where I can induce a specific bloom of algea.

I also have a 12"x6"x6 fleece filter "sock" I spray with the hose once a week.

I mainly have crypts, java ferns, anubias and a few stem plants. The stem plants get a trimming as needed, about once every two weeks. As I said I have a low tech system and I do not have crazy fast growth. Plants seem to doing alright.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
View attachment 1035831
I have a low tech system and seem to keep it it pretty clean with weekly 25% water changes. I feel that my 50 gallon has a higher current than most setups I have seen, and the extra flow seems to help with my algea woes.

I do get a bit of Black Beard Algea towards the top and have come to terms with a little bit of that. I would like to get to the point where I can induce a specific bloom of algea.

I also have a 12"x6"x6 fleece filter "sock" I spray with the hose once a week.

I mainly have crypts, java ferns, anubias and a few stem plants. The stem plants get a trimming as needed, about once every two weeks. As I said I have a low tech system and I do not have crazy fast growth. Plants seem to doing alright.
Do you ever need to do any glass cleaning from algae?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Weekly 70+% water change. At that time I gravel vac, wipe down the glass, and remove any dead leaves.

While understanding this is a picture (looks great btw) my glass looks clean like yours. I never do any scraping though. At best, a sponge wipe or the magnetic scrubber really quick. Do you scrape your glass with a razor?

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
While understanding this is a picture (looks great btw) my glass looks clean like yours. I never do any scraping though. At best, a sponge wipe or the magnetic scrubber really quick. Do you scrape your glass with a razor?
No I use the little scrubbies you buy for cleaning glass cooktops (ones without any soap). I use them to clean with. This tank especially has not needed any kind of real scrubbing action though, its been super easy so far.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No I use the little scrubbies you buy for cleaning glass cooktops (ones without any soap). I use them to clean with. This tank especially has not needed any kind of real scrubbing action though, its been super easy so far.
How long has it been running?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I do a 50 to 70% water change every 7 days. I will gravel vacuum and use a turkey baster around the substrate at that time too. I clean the glass of GDA and clean the filters once every 60 days.
Flower Plant Plant community Purple Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do a 50 to 70% water change every 7 days. I will gravel vacuum and use a turkey baster around the substrate at that time too. I clean the glass of GDA and clean the filters once every 60 days.
View attachment 1035836
Wow. This is captivating! Please share with me your setup.. CO2? Ferts? What filter? Filter media? Is that Val in the center there? How do you maintain your reds? Back to my question on the post lol, what do you use a turkey baster for exactly?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Wow. This is captivating! Please share with me your setup.. CO2? Ferts? What filter? Filter media? Is that Val in the center there? How do you maintain your reds? Back to my question on the post lol, what do you use a turkey baster for exactly?
I use the turkey baster to blow out mulm that have settled in the substrate. It's kinda difficult to get the python around all the plants. I use 2 external filters and a Cerges CO² reactor and use dry fertilizers. Here's all my numbers and reds are kept the same way as the other plants. I do nothing special for them.
That plant is Aponogeton Ulvaceus.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use the turkey baster to blow out mulm that have settled in the substrate. It's kinda difficult to get the python around all the plants. I use 2 external filters and a Cerges CO² reactor and use dry fertilizers. Here's all my numbers and reds are kept the same way as the other plants. I do nothing special for them.
That plant is Aponogeton Ulvaceus.
Very informative. Thank you so much. How did you come up with the numbers of how much to fertilize?

Not very long, a bit under 4 months. It's my first tank at this size so I was a bit skeptical about how much maintenance it would take, but its practically on rails.
That's how mine is too. I just wonder why so many snails! I don't see any algae for them, on the glass at least.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
That's how mine is too. I just wonder why so many snails! I don't see any algae for them, on the glass at least.
Snails eat algae, biofilm, decaying plant matter, and fish food. It doesn't take much to make them happy either. Personally I love snails. I keep blue ramshorn snails in all of my tanks and have been selectively breeding them for a few years now. I don't much care for pond snails but only because I feel like they are competing with my ramshorns.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Snails eat algae, biofilm, decaying plant matter, and fish food. It doesn't take much to make them happy either. Personally I love snails. I keep blue ramshorn snails in all of my tanks and have been selectively breeding them for a few years now. I don't much care for pond snails but only because I feel like they are competing with my ramshorns.
If I had selected, they definitely would not be what I have, which I assume are pond snails because they came out of nowhere. How can I get rid of them? Id much rather have snails that are more pleasurable to view.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
If I had selected, they definitely would not be what I have, which I assume are pond snails because they came out of nowhere. How can I get rid of them? Id much rather have snails that are more pleasurable to view.
Easiest and best method are snail traps. You can make them out of an empty plastic water bottle.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Very informative. Thank you so much. How did you come up with the numbers of how much to fertilize?
I started with EI dosing. Then I started reading the journals here and comparing what most are dosing. Then asked for help when problems popped up and eventually found what worked well in this tank.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I started with EI dosing. Then I started reading the journals here and comparing what most are dosing. Then asked for help when problems popped up and eventually found what worked well in this tank.
That makes sense. I don't think I'm quite there yet. I'm having a tough time trying to figure out how to find the balanc between ferts lights and CO2.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts