The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so not having any prior experience with aquariums, I had no idea as to what tools to buy. I ended up buying this little tool set off amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NSSXKWP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I thought the extendable handle would be great. I was right... HOWEVER, this particular tool sucks. It is difficult to impossible to change the heads. Impossible when the tool is wet. Does anyone use anything similar that they actually recommend?

How about Mag-floats? Are they more trouble than they are worth, or a decent tool?

Do you all have a particular tool that helps you clean that you can't live without??

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Mag-Floats suck IMO...

My most used tools are
1) a 4 piece aquascaping tool set, like this one the straight tweezers and substrate leveling tool are always on hand
2) grout cleaning brushes, like these great for scrubbing algae off rocks, corners, filter bits
3) this comically long turkey baster for kicking up mulm during water changes
4) a large plastic plant tray, for filling the tanks back up without disturbing the substrate. less than a dollar at any hardware/garden store
5) razorblade scraper like this great for GSA and hard water crust, gets rusty but works anyway

I also use a long bendy pipe cleaner pretty often. I haven't found anything that works better than elbow grease with a scrubby pad for cleaning glass. I cut open Dobie pads and use the outer scrubby bit over my fingers. Sucks when you have deep tanks and duckweed, but so does washing up and realizing your scrubby pole missed a bunch of spots.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mag-Floats suck IMO...

My most used tools are
1) a 4 piece aquascaping tool set, like this one the straight tweezers and substrate leveling tool are always on hand
2) grout cleaning brushes, like these great for scrubbing algae off rocks, corners, filter bits
3) this comically long turkey baster for kicking up mulm during water changes
4) a large plastic plant tray, for filling the tanks back up without disturbing the substrate. less than a dollar at any hardware/garden store
5) razorblade scraper like this great for GSA and hard water crust, gets rusty but works anyway

I also use a long bendy pipe cleaner pretty often. I haven't found anything that works better than elbow grease with a scrubby pad for cleaning glass. I cut open Dobie pads and use the outer scrubby bit over my fingers. Sucks when you have deep tanks and duckweed, but so does washing up and realizing your scrubby pole missed a bunch of spots.
Gotcha- I actually got the exact aquascaping set. Im still not great at planting with them, but I am seriously in love with the trimming scissors! Comically long turkey baster added to order LOL. Thank you!

·
Registered
110 Posts
a toothbrush (for rocks), scissors, long tweezers, good quality microfiber cloth (no point scratching up your nice fish tank), dechlorinator, a hose, and a syringe for H2O2. I also have an old powerhead (maxi jet) attached to a tube for water changes. When I had a bigger tank, the python system did wonders for water changes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just wanted to put in a vote for the Mag-Float, with the caveat that you use the blade attachement which is available but not included (as far as I can tell). The blade needs to be checked that it's actually contacting the glass when you slide it across glass, and it needs to be kept clean.
But I tried a couple sized Mag-Floats and found them completely worthless until I also got the blades.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.