The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm planning on purchasing the following from an online vendor. This is my first time adding plants to my aquarium and I wanted to make sure they didn't come with any hitchhikers. Do I just rinse them under tap water and inspect for snails / eggs? I wanted to avoid dipping them in bleach or h2o2.

Amazon sword
Java fern
Java moss
Anubias nana
Dwarf hairgrass

·
Registered
355 Posts
Could you share what the mixing ratio of vinegar to water should be and for how many minutes? How long does it take for eggs to hatch so I can redip?
Just use any vinegar. For citric acid we usually go for 10g per 1000mL water.
Dip few sec and rinse with clean water. Don't do loo long..you'll get pickled plants.

For eggs I cannot tell.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
There's use of alum in America as well. I don't personally use it, I don't mind snails. Not sure if it nukes the eggs or not and it is a bit more expensive but from what I hear it's very effective. I'd say about half of the people I've done business with, plant wise, use it and swear by it. The rest of us have the "snails are my friends" attitude. Good luck!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I will say I tried to just wash with plain water and throughly inspect and still ended up with a couple snails. It really was just a couple though - I removed the ones I found right away and I never saw any more (and it's been more than a year without a sighting), so I guess I got them all somehow. Anyway, the point is they can be very hard to spot on incoming plants.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The alum works pretty good but wow is it expensive...

Reactions: Plinkploop

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
318 Posts
On Amazon I got way more than I will ever be able to use for $15

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.