The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cleaning old siphon tubing...

1070 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  GOJIRADOR
Ive tried looking for ways online, but all google gives me is how to clean your fish tank, or cleaning siphons for home beer brewing systems!
The old siphon i have has developed black/brown spots in it, and id like to remove them. Also, one of my newer ones had gotten a smell/taste so horrible it makes me not want to use it! I do suck on the end of this one, so i CAN taste this dead fish smell, though the a simple hose with the larger part on the end, no places for any debris to get stuck, and looks relatively spotless!
Is there anything i can do? A soak? Water changes have started turning my stomach!!!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4,221 Posts
^+1

My python extension never has tap water running through it so turned purple and black from the tank water. I coiled it up in a tub, wedged a small pump to one end and filled the tub with tap water plus several glugs of bleach. Even though I ran the pump for 24 hours the hose didn't get completely clean but it is just pink now, no purple or black.

My main hose is perfectly clean. It gets ~90 gallons of tap water run through when I refill the tank. I suspect rinsing the siphon with more tap and hanging to dry would keep the hoses clean without having to find a tub and figure out how to attach a pump to it.

· Registered
4,221 Posts
I have a few small pumps laying around as I keep anything that works when I upgrade filters and tanks. I used the little pump that came with a 36" long SeaClear II aquarium I sold 12 years ago. A powerhead would work fine. A HOB filter might even work if the hose wasn't too long. It is just to move water through, doesn't need to be fast movement and it isn't pushing water up or anything.

The hose I cleaned is 20' long and dunking in bleach water didn't do a thing. You could try simply soaking and dipping and dumping water in the hose for as long as it takes if your hose is shorter though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.