The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new here at the forums!

Is there a way to rinse gravel when there is a healthy population of MTS in it? I really don't want these snails getting out into Albertan ecosystems and ruin everything so I'm being extra careful about this.

I usually throw the water from water changes to my garden which is not connected to any body of water and this is where I'll probably dumping the water from rinsing the gravel. Do these snails survive out of water? There's rich top soil with quite a bit of moisture on my garden so I'm scared they'll multiply there.

Note that I'm just getting rid of sediments from the gravel and I want to keep these snails.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
When wanting to sterilize, bleach is the way public health experts do it. Add a bit of bleach to the water and let it set overnight? A couple tablespoons to the gallon will do it. Overnight will give the chlorine time to cut into any closed shells and then gas off before being dumped. For added safety wait longer.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
What about running the water through a semi fine mesh screen?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Seems like y'all are way over complicating this, they said they wanted to keep the snails and just rinse the gravel.

Put gravel in a 5 gallon bucket, stick hose in bucket, turn on water, stir gravel while the water is going, let it over flow...stir/keep hose on until gravel is as clear as you want.

Pour gravel back in tank and add dechlorinator. Any snails that manage to float out won't make it...

As a note the snails can't sustain being very cold for very long but for a short bit they will be fine.

Edit: As a note to triple ensure you have MTS snails you could always pull out 10 or so adults and in no time you'll have the colony reestablished.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello! Just to get back to you guys, I did was Calestus did and I'm confident that I didn't release any baby MTS into the wild! And hopefully if there was, they'll die in our -40°C weather during the winter!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.