The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering how fellow owners clean their cartridges.

I just use the brush and sink's handsprayer. Works well enough. I rotate multiple cartridges in and out, clean the used ones later when I get around to it. After ten or so rotations though, seems they clog sooner.

So I was wondering if there are better ways to clean and how many uses others are getting from their cartridges.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love it. Easy to maintain as you just swap a cartridge and keep running. In my large tank, filters get messy in a hurry. I can't wait to open the canister once very three months. Swapping cartridges takes 1 minute, keeps flow up. I do it weekly. Takes another 5 to clean the used cartridge so it's ready for next weeks swap. The chemical cartridge is also easily removed and cleaned. I have a bag of purigen in mine.

Still clean the canister every 3-4 months, but I can keep it running optimally with weekly cartridge swaps and little time invested. Cleanings go fast too as the design of the lid and gasket is well done and there is no fiddling. The ehiem's gasket always fought me. Not anymore, pop, lock and go.

I have a G3 on a ~40 gallon and G6 on a 84g tank and there is adequate flow on both. More on the small tank than the fluval 205 that came with the kit and more than the eheim 2075 that was on the large tank prior.

I don't use any of the alerts in the display, except to check temp and flow. The flow meter I great. Makes me wonder how low flow actually was on the other filters before a cleaning.

So all thumbs up for ease of maintenance.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Btw 150, I would pay more for the ease of maintenance, but I wouldn't pay $500 for these filters.

I made me LCD am offer in the 300s and with the $50 rebate paid Eheim Pro 3 dollars for them.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I soak mechanical media in bleach for a day or so. then rinse well and set out to dry. much like you stated above I change fliter pleats weekly and have clean sets ready to install. Easy system and it needs to be. 50 plus filter changes x 4 systems is alot of mechanical filters to clean.
mD

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have a Fluval G3 - have only had it 7-8 months though and it runs great. No noise, easy to maintain. I have it on my 25 gallon cube take 18x18x18 and the flow is just right (anymore and I would need to reduce it)

As for the original topic question (even though this is a year old), a good way to clean the mechanical part of the filter is to take it out, get the brush that comes with the filter, use the back of the brush to jam out the back of the mechanical filtration (the red back casing), then stick the brush part through the star shaped back so you can really get in there and clean it. I saw this trick on a youtube video and was surprised it's not easier found in the documentation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.