The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard Salt Water guys talk about critters to keep their substrate clean. Besides Shrimp are there good critters to help airate and clean the bottom of the tank?

THANKS
JOhn ><> :fish:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Malasian Trumpet Snail (MTS) work the substrate. They can become overpopulated if you overfeed. Shrimp clean up pretty good. Also ramshorn snail seem to be pretty good at keeping things clean. Pond snails do a good also. Otto's work also. A mix of these critters seem to work pretty well at keeping the whole tank clean.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
siamese algae eaters (SAEs) are good -- one of the best at eating hair algae, but they can get lazy and even aggressive when older. ott;s are great. I have 15 of them in my 90g and its neat to watch them school. I also have many pond snails. They need to be kept in check sometimes as they multiply very fast, but are also good at eating algae. Slow movers, but they are ALWAYS eating. Some like the clown plecos or bristlenose plecos for planted tanks, but I haven't tried them. Shrimp are good too, but I have trouble keeping them alive. I would probably go for a little of everything, if they get along ;)

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Malasian Trumpet Snail (MTS) work the substrate. They can become overpopulated if you overfeed. Shrimp clean up pretty good. Also ramshorn snail seem to be pretty good at keeping things clean. Pond snails do a good also. Otto's work also. A mix of these critters seem to work pretty well at keeping the whole tank clean.
I also like that combination. Also if you can get some nice 'Ghost' shrimp they love going thru the substrate!

I would recomend staying away from SAEs, they also tend to get a taste for plants as they get older and are a PITA to catch then

-Andrew

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do I need something to burrow in the soil to aireate and let gasses escape?

JOhn ><> :fish:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.