The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked a friend this question, but need to know the answer by tomorrow morning before I leave town for the fish store and I don't think he'll have time to answer me by then.

What is the nicest looking but effective cleaning crew that will work with my honduran's and won't mow down the plants? I know I could use a BN pleco, but they really are not very nice looking little rascals (hope I don't offend anyone by saying that - you know beauty is in the eye of the beholder...). I want something that can stand up to the mating pair and their fry, not eat the fry, and be an attractive (or at the very least - not homely) GOOD cleaner for the tank. I wanted SAE's in there, but I would fear for the little guys lives since they are only about an inch and the parents are pretty hot about anyone in their tank. HELP?? My LFS is over 2 hours away one way, and tomorrow is the day to go to "the big city" for a bunch of stuff - so I need to know what I need to buy - and how many I need for a 40g with a 36x12 footprint. Your help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I like Otto's. They work soooo hard. They won't eat plants, But I don't know how they dael with aggression. Also Lubber Lips are excalent algea eaters. And I believe they are nocturnal so they should be OK.

I recently, 3 months ago, had to take back some Skunk Botias that were terrarising my others. Again don't know if they were odd balls but they didn't take any crap.

Hope that was helpful.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was about to suggest Otocinclus myself. They aren't beautifully coloured by any stretch but they get huge little guts and are always on the move at work. Not sure how your hondurans would react with them but I know they don't bother anything.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But the loaches and botias don't do algae very well from what I've read... If I went with some bristle nose plecos, I wonder if I could get away with some MT snails (as in "would they survive")? What would/could ottos do that plecos don't - or vice versa?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Saganco, Otto's are amazing. I've kept both bristlenose and Otto's and far prefer the Otto's for their work ethic. Plus they are a far more interesting fish, at least in my eyes. I keep 1/2 a dozen in my 110, along with 3 SAE's and numerous Amano and Cherry Shrimp. Of my work crew, the Otto's are the "A" Team.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wasn't suggesting Botias for algea. Just as part of the "crew". You know, left overs.:icon_lol:

·
Registered
705 Posts
just throwing this out there you want a diurnal algae eater, nocturnal plecos are known to eat eggs and since the parents are asleep there is no problem just walking into the spawn site and eating all the eggs, if they are diurnal then the parents just have to defend the eggs during the day when their awake. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what I understand, the BN pleco's are diurnal and won't eat the fry or the eggs. If someone knows otherwise, please correct me! I have some botias in other tanks (even one that has Rainbow Cichlids in it), but they wouldn't survive these HRP's - they are very protective ALL the time - they bite ME!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts