The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any ideas on cleaning the plastic in/out hoses on a canister filter? I have an Aquatop CF400UV. The hoses are soft translucent green plastic and you can see the grunge starting to build up. Any special brushes available?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Used to run emperor filter's by Marineland that used to include a small brush with the new filter's for cleaning the spray bar attachment.
Anywhoo, I took a long piece of weed eater twine,passed one end through the handle on the brush and secured it with electrician's tape.
I then feed the weed eater twine through the hose until it comes out the other end and then pull the brush through the hose.
Maybe not very attactive looking apparatus, but effective.

Texas Cichlid,,the mag fox is easily found?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found it on Amazon and at Foster & Smith. From $6-8. With shipping, about $13. Thanks TC! Picking one up...

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Does the magnet device allow the slug to pass through the hose connection's?
I ask this because with the brush ,,I am able to pull it clear through hose connections and seem's like quite a bit of gunk could remain stuck until the filter was turned back on and then maybe a fair bit of said gunk ,would/could be pumped back out through the spray bar or return?
In any event,, I think I shall give one a go for it seem's much less mess than with my own DIY method(note to self...don't wear good shirt while cleaning filter's).

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
1-remove your tubing for cleaning.
2-Fill a sink or basin with water/bleach mixture.
3-connect a submersible pump to one end of your tubing. Leave the inlet/outlet connected
4-put pump in basin and inlet/outlet end in basin (make sure it's secure).
5-run pump until hose is clean ( an hour or so)
6-rinse with water and prime to neutralize bleach
7-repeat with other tube

Easy, fast, completely cleans tubing.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
3-connect a submersible pump to one end of your tubing. Leave the inlet/outlet connected
7-repeat with other tube

I do the same thing, but with a water/H2O2 mixture. Works like a charm every time!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
7-repeat with other tube

I like this idea! I have 50 foot Python with pump attached for changing water.Seem's this would work well for cleaning it, and I shall see how canister connection's could be made to clean those hoses as well.
An hour seem's like alot of wasted water though,and not as fast as my admittedly ******* version.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Pump the water from the basin, through the tubing and back to the basin. Very little water wasted! If you have a spare tank handy, just set the pump and tubing all in the tank and let it run for as long as needed. If your tubing is stopping up very quickly, you may need to look at what is causing your algae.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just tie a bit of ripped shirt to some fishing line, tie the other end to a weight so it can be dropped through the slimy tubing, and pull through. rinse after obv. The bleach and pump thing sounds like it would work but chemicals like bleach scare the crap out of me. The fishing line method is a bit more hands on but probably faster

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.