The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to give my test tubes a more through cleaning than just a rinse with water because I have some residue in some from not being prompt about washing them after use. I have a set of bottle brushes, but the small ones are meant for pipes and don't have bristles at the end, so getting into the bottom corners is impossible. Standard Q tips and too short. I can probably use disposable pipe cleaners, but does anyone have a multiuse tool they use for this?

Also, any recommendations on a solvent that would be good to use? Isopropyl alcohol or is there a better option?

·
Registered
527 Posts
There are longer q-tips on Amazon. If you search "gun swabs" you will see some not only longer but with different tips, like a more pointy tip for good corner cleaning.

A good rinsing it hot water should suffice going forward, for tubes that don't have residue dried in them. I never need to scrub them but I rinse them within minutes of the test.

I keep a squeeze bottle of distilled water, after rinsing with tap, I give them one final swish in a little distilled to get rid of any tap residue that might dry on the tube (we have a lot of calcium in our water).

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
You can also try to soak the tubes in R/O water to help loosen any deposits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts