The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I've got a 20 gallon planted tank that has been established for almost 3 years. It is overdue for a major overhaul but with the new kids I've just been able to do the regular maintenance and not much else.

The problem I've been running into is that I'm always finding lots of mulm laying on all my leaves lately. water changes don't help that much. I did rinse out the sponge in the filter today it it was pretty gunked up. To be honest I've been really lazy about cleaning the filter religiously. Like once a month or less as long as the water was flowing. :redface: I WILL REMEDY THIS.

So my question, Is what I'm seeing just a symptom of a really dirty filter?

Thanks.

ps, i've had one sponge in the filter and one bag of the bio balls since I've set this tank up a couple years ago.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Is that your only filter? You probably need a little extra circulation. When I use to only have 1 filter running - a Fluval C4 HOB, the opposite side of the tank would collect mulm and other debris. I added a Koralia for circulation and helped tremendously and eventually upgraded to 2 canister filters (one on each end).

Also, a good cleaning regimen helps ;) I'm guilty of that as well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, just looked at what I wrote and I feel kinda stupid :icon_redf because I think the answer is pretty self explanatory. Yes dummy, clean your filter.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Tiggity,
The filter is actually a aquaclear 50 in a 20 gallon, I also have a little ELITE filter running like a power head so you would think there was enough movement. maybe i will try repositioning the Elite filter to get some better movement on the lower anubis leafs since those cover about 2/3rds of the center of the tank and are the most noticeable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.