The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6g Fluval edge has a rapidly growing population of cherry shrimp. It really makes a difference if you feed these guys.

Anyhow, cleaning the filter seems to me to maybe not be enough because mulm/crap is building up in the substrate. This is most obvious when I stir things up a bit moving a plant or something.

My water change routine does not include vacuuming the substrate because I would inevitably suck up some shrimp. Am I okay keeping on as I am now or is there some way to suck out some mulm that will not endanger shrimp? I guess I could attach a screen over the business end of the vacuum; what do you do?

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've found out that the business end of my gravel vac is one serious SOB! It sucks EVERYTHING up and since I have sand base, and tiny lil cherry shrimplets, I came up with a solution that works for me. What I do is take the big 2 inch hard pipe off and bought a barb to reduce the 1/2 inch vinyl tubing down to an airline hose. It's a much smaller area you have to watch, less of a chance for a shrimp to get sucked up. Also I installed a shut off on that end that way if I do see one coming close, I just shut the vac off and wait for it to mosey on by. This works for me, may not for you, just an idea.

Also what I did before that was use a fluval prefilter sponge inside the 2 inch pipe. Fit perfectly and gave me a chance to shut off the suction before the shrimp hit the sponge. Only problem was it would clog up here and there.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Put a sponge over the intake. Or stir the water near the substrate and then do water changes.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Sounds like you all have dumb or lazy shrimp lol
I use a small gravel vac from fluval, meant for the Edge and unless I cornered my shrimp with a net there is no way they get within an inch of the vac and those who get that close still have no trouble getting away.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Sounds like you all have dumb or lazy shrimp lol
I use a small gravel vac from fluval, meant for the Edge and unless I cornered my shrimp with a net there is no way they get within an inch of the vac and those who get that close still have no trouble getting away.
Not really, when you have 200-300 shrimp in a tank, they are everywhere and in constant state of every age possible. You can barley see new born babies and they are all over the substrate, walls, plants, everywhere.

·
Super Moderator
16,051 Posts
Even with a couple layers of pantyhose over my water change siphon, I routinely suck up babies and always have to check my change buckets.

Not really, when you have 200-300 shrimp in a tank, they are everywhere and in constant state of every age possible. You can barley see new born babies and they are all over the substrate, walls, plants, everywhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts