The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am realizing that I need to plan a clean up crew if I am going to keep plant my aquarium with more plants.

I have 4 Sailfin Black Mollys and 9 neon tetras.

We are considering 1 Dwarf Gouramis, Turquoise guppies, and other tetras.

I have a terribly planted tank at the moment, but am going to go back and do it properly with substrate etc.

I had snails on my plants that reproduced exponentially. I have been working really hard to get rid of them and seem to be getting ahead.

I would consider another snail, but only one.

What would you recommend for a clean up crew?

This is all new to me, so even the simpliest suggestions would be helpful

·
Registered
467 Posts
How big is the tank?
You could do cories, nerite snails, kuhlis, mts (they will breed though)

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
SA bumblebee catfish is the best cleaner ive kept so far.

·
Registered
664 Posts
def get a bunch of otos and a pleco (but research what types, some will uproot plants), shrimp (amano are so good at cleaning IMO), any kinda cories or nerites, You could get SAE or stuff like that but I heard they can be feisty.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I really like amano shrimp. You can three per gallon at least and a small group can clear up algae pretty well, as well as any uneaten food. They also don't hide away like most shrimps.

Cherry shrimp eat some algae and uneaten food and will breed but may be eaten by your larger fish.

A mystery snail (not an apple snail) will eat up any uneaten food but is pretty messy and won't eat algae. An apple snail will eat your plants.

Conversely, nerite snails eat nothing but algae and won't always accept anything else. They're messy too but not nearly as much so as mysteries.

Likewise with otos, which complicate things even more by eating only eat a few kinds of algae.

Corydoras or the smaller synodontis catfish do a good job eating uneaten food but not algae.

If you get a pleco, get a bristlenose or whiptail. The big plecos are unimaginably messy and for one of them you could have like a hundred shrimp. They also eat plants.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Maybe a trio of clown loach, or one of the smaller species too. They'll scavenge the bottom and eat all of your snails as well.

Siamese algae eaters are good, but don't accidentally get one of those pretty but vicious flying foxes, and especially not one of those ugly and ferocious Chinese algae eaters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts