The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear your guys opinions on a clean up crew for a tank with these two fishes. I feel it would be tricky because they both will eat smaller fish and it’s also planted of course so some of the medium size bottom dwellers will ruin that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the angle fish its pretty easy. Otos and snails are gotos. But that tiger eel.... I've never even seen one with my own eyes but I would suspect it would eat snails and possibly otos..... so I guess that guy is really your limiting factor. I'd just try to work around him.
Yeah that is my issue. They would definitely eat all the smaller fish. I’m seeing medium sized plecos would be good but knowing which ones I’d like to have your guys opinions.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I guess the question is what are you trying to clean up, uneaten food, poop, algae?

Uneaten food and poop can be removed via hand siphoning, algae is a different issue.

Reactions: Socratic monologue

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess the question is what are you trying to clean up, uneaten food, poop, algae?

Uneaten food and poop can be removed via hand siphoning, algae is a different issue.
Algae and I guess the uneaten food from the angels. I would feed the eel feeders or frozen shrimp and fish filet by hand so I would grab that right away if not eaten.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
The only tiger eel I found is salt, do you know the species? How large is it now?

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
What size tank are you keeping them in? The only freshwater tiger eels I see listed are the ones from Indonesia that say they should be in a minimum 150 gallon tank.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The freshwater type. Gymnothorax polyuranodon. I was talking to my local fish store guy and he’s getting it for me. He said they’re medium sized. It’s a 55gal. I don’t have anything yet. Just started the cycle last night.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I've not kept this fish so no personal experience. Another forum also recommended similar tank size as @tuphatDimes as well as being careful with bottom dwelling fish as the Gymnothorax polyuranodon is very shy and there is also some difficulty in getting it to take food.

Reactions: Overload Reptiles
1 - 12 of 12 Posts