The Planted Tank Forum banner

Clean Or Replace Filter Inserts

2427 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  PlantedRich
Hello,

Recently bought my fluval vista 23g aquarium and I wanted to meticulously follow my Aqua Clear 50 instructions about changing the media (foam, activated carbon and biomax) when needed.

But after some searches I realized that changing something might hurt the tank by removing good bacteria. I understand now stores sell products to add to the tank when doing maintenance, to avoid ammonia peak.

So, I am not sure anymore what is the best thing to do. I read that some people just clean once in the while their filter inserts (with tank water), and they change them just when they fall appart. I also read some thread where people follow Aqua Clear guide and change the filter inserts. Some people even add their own filter pads to keep the bio max cleaner.

So, that is the question, what is the best approach to keep the tank healthy? I think it is really important because I`d like to have shrimps and everybody told be that they are really sensible to ammonia.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
13,345 Posts
Stage 1: Mechanical-Foam Filter Insert
AquaClear® Foam Filter Inserts perform mechanical filtration by
trapping particles and debris as they pass through the insert.
This unique foam, designed for use with AquaClear® Power
Filters, features optimal pore size for efficient mechanical and
biological filtration.
Usually fine to just rinse and return

Stage 2: Chemical-Activated Carbon Filter Insert
AquaClear® Activated Carbon Filter Inserts contain 100%
premium research grade carbon. Premium research grade
carbon provides large amounts of surface area for adsorption of
undesirable impurities. The Activated Carbon Filter Inserts will
remove unwanted odors, discoloration and impurities resulting
in a crystal clear aquarium.
Discard, most feel carbon is a waste at best, detrimental at worst.. Good for getting rid of antibiotics
One option is to replace w/ stage 3.
DO NOT rinse this in tap water if it contains chlorine ect..
I usually rinse it w/ tank water or Seachem Prime treated water..

Stage 3: Biological-BioMax Insert
AquaClear® BioMax Filter Inserts contain BioMax ceramic rings.
The surface of BioMax is made up of a complex pore system that allows bacteria to thrive.
Use of the BioMax Filter Insert will provide optimal living space for beneficial bacteria and
enhance the removal of ammonia and nitrites resulting in a healthy aquarium environment.
NOTE: Regular replacement of AquaClear® Filter Inserts is essential for optimum filter
performance.
Replace w/ poly fill or top off stage 2 (increase size of stage 2) and any fine filter media.
Others have mentioned other substitutes though top should have at least some fine filtering ability, which should be discarded at cleaning..

Well one suggestion..

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.