The Planted Tank Forum banner

Clean Or Replace Filter Inserts

2431 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  PlantedRich
Hello,

Recently bought my fluval vista 23g aquarium and I wanted to meticulously follow my Aqua Clear 50 instructions about changing the media (foam, activated carbon and biomax) when needed.

But after some searches I realized that changing something might hurt the tank by removing good bacteria. I understand now stores sell products to add to the tank when doing maintenance, to avoid ammonia peak.

So, I am not sure anymore what is the best thing to do. I read that some people just clean once in the while their filter inserts (with tank water), and they change them just when they fall appart. I also read some thread where people follow Aqua Clear guide and change the filter inserts. Some people even add their own filter pads to keep the bio max cleaner.

So, that is the question, what is the best approach to keep the tank healthy? I think it is really important because I`d like to have shrimps and everybody told be that they are really sensible to ammonia.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,410 Posts
I wanted to do my water change every week, so, carbon might be useless most of the time. What is better to replace the carbon in my filter? More mechanical filter, like sponge, foam or pad, or more bio filter?
Throw in a Purigen pouch instead of carbon. Should fit your AC 50 noooo problem! Pull it out from time to time when it gets brown, throw it in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours, rinse, soak in heavily Primed water for a few hours(SeaChem says 24, they also say to use far too much Prime) and then back in the filter it goes.

The only piece of media I EVER replace is my filter floss pads when they start breaking down. Only run carbon pads after meds, you'd also need for unwanted chemical exposure in the tank....that's never happened to me though.

· Registered
1,410 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.