The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So here's another try at clay and Wabi. I'm always frustrated at the unability to photograph these well.

There are 3 clay "towers" in the back. I have two "islands with emergent plants.
I used several Wabi-kusa for the islands and 3-4 Wabis for the submerged plants.
The great thing I've found is it allows one to place established plants in a tank.
These pictures are 1 week after planting! I used cycled water from my shrimp tank for 50% of the water.

View attachment 59062

View attachment 59063

View attachment 59067
The Wabi's and Wabi logs were previously grown emersed and then placed in the tank.

View attachment 59064
This is a Wabi log with Dwarf Hair grass and various mosses some of which may not adapt to submerged.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Latest update: Side photo of the tank which shows the "clay towers" a little better. Wabi's are doing fine and little by little plants are running out and up from them!
View attachment 59556
Top view: There 3 towers. On the right is island one with rushes and emerged Dwarf Hair Grass. On the right is has Seginella, Mazus DHG, mosses...
View attachment 59558

View attachment 59560

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update
Everything is growing great! The Wabi's are really working great, they act as a nutrient source and are spreading out into the tank. I keep seeding copepods and water into the tank in hopes of a good balanced tank. I want to add shrimp and some nano fish.
Plant community Plant People in nature Natural landscape Branch

Island #1: Mazus, Acorus, selaginella, Bacopa, several moss species and ?

Plant Botany Flower Lighting Vegetation

Island #2: Rush, Hydrocotyle, UG, Galium, DHG...

Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Terrestrial plant Vegetation

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Latest update

Latest update, the Wabi-kusa's have worked great both underwater as starting points for growth and on the islands. I have some minor hair algae problems but nothing out of control. The Hydrocotyle triparta (I think) is growing out from the island into the water. I've got copepods and shrimp in the tank and plan to add Pygmy Corys and some Boraras soon!
Plant Plant community Water Natural landscape Terrestrial plant

Plant Leaf Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable Grass

This island has Galium, Hydrocotyle, Rush, Dwarf Hair Grass, an unknown Bryophyte (?) and down underneath everything is some Utri. graminifolia

Plant Grass Terrestrial plant Groundcover Aquatic plant

The other island near the HOB filter, Selaginella, Ludwigia (?), and more of the stuff on the other island.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.