The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
does anyone know if flourish will be harmful to it, I know it will be in large quantity but I only dose 1ml for a 10 gallon and also can someone tell me step by step how shipping shrimp works on ebay? AND can you leave it under the hob filter flow where it releases the filter water, would it still be able to feel from there?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Sorry but I'm not sure anyone here can help you with clams. Honestly they're really hard to keep and they dig into the substrate so they're not really considered worth keeping by the majority.

·
Banned
93 Posts
they dig themselves in to the substrate so you hardly see them and if they die you never know until its too late. most of the time they die due to not enough food in the water column. so I wouldn't get any clams in my opinion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
they dig themselves in to the substrate so you hardly see them and if they die you never know until its too late. most of the time they die due to not enough food in the water column. so I wouldn't get any clams in my opinion.
I put some common clams from my NC Piedmont area creek and they seemed to do fine, but the tank had no filter so there was probably more food. most of the time I could just see the tip of their shell and their "mouth" and that was only because the water was 4 inches deep and I could look at it from the top so normally I would have no idea where it was.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Your clams are probably cold-water and will most likely not live very long in tropical temps. Also, some species have larvae that are parasitic to fish.
Clams are very difficult to keep alive unless they're very small, and there's really just no point in having them. They aren't great filters (nobody wants a filter that'll die), and they never come out where anyone can see them unless something is very wrong with them.
Yes, it's probably OK to leave the clam under the filter, but if you don't have it already I wouldn't get it.
I don't know if the Flourish will kill the clam, but if it'll kill other inverts it'll probably kill the clam.
If you're buying shrimp from a decent seller, they'll just mail you a bag of shrimp and water. I wouldn't suggest ordering shrimp about now, the temperatures are too extreme and are shifting too much. Wait until spring. Don't mail shrimp until spring, either, it's not really worth the risk.

Bump: Your clams are probably cold-water and will most likely not live very long in tropical temps. Also, some species have larvae that are parasitic to fish.
Clams are very difficult to keep alive unless they're very small, and there's really just no point in having them. They aren't great filters (nobody wants a filter that'll die), and they never come out where anyone can see them unless something is very wrong with them.
Yes, it's probably OK to leave the clam under the filter, but if you don't have it already I wouldn't get it.
I don't know if the Flourish will kill the clam, but if it'll kill other inverts it'll probably kill the clam.
If you're buying shrimp from a decent seller, they'll just mail you a bag of shrimp and water. I wouldn't suggest ordering shrimp about now, the temperatures are too extreme and are shifting too much. Wait until spring. Don't mail shrimp until spring, either, it's not really worth the risk.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Flourish (I assume you are talking about the comprehensive version) is pretty a-okay in terms of other invertebrates I've kept (shrimp/snails), so, I think it would be aight. Not 100% sure though, the organisms are different so can't assume I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts