The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot about clamp on lamps here, but I can't seem to find any on the walmart website that take fluorescent bulbs. Is everyone referring to the incandescent ones? If anyone has a link to anywhere I could get one, that would be great!

I just want to replace the insufficient 9 watt that came with my 5.5 gallon. What wattage should I be shooting for? I'd like to stay away from CO2, but I'd like to be able to plant a nice variety of plants.

Thank you :D

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Does it need to be a clamp-on? What about one of those 27w Hampton Bay/Lights of America ones that can be bought at Home Depot/Lowe's (respectively)? There's a reason why those lamps are so popular here with the nano crowd.

·
Registered
20 Posts
People might be refrerring to COMPACT fleurescent bulbs. You can plug them in anywhere you would put in incandescents. They are very cheap and very handy.

Get any clip on lamp with a good reflector for this.

Get daylight ones for a planted tank. For some reason they are the cheapest of all CFL's.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I suppose it doesn't need to be clamp-on. Those just sounded like the cheapest and most convenient. What are the hampton bay ones you're referring to? I looked on the home depot website, and they had one hampton bay lamp, and it happened to be a clamp on. By what you were saying though, it seems like you were thinking of something that wasn't clamp on.

Anywho, I think I might have an idea of what to look for, though I'm open to any suggestions! Most importantly, what compact fluorescent wattage would I want for my 5.5g tank?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts