The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting a new 20 gallon low to mid light tank and was wondering what everyone's opinions were of using the silver bowl shaped clamp lights available at your local hardware store?

I am not looking for looks on this tank so it doesn't bother me having two clamp lights on each side of the tank.

So, if I was to get two clamp lights and put, say 15 or 20 watts CFL full spectrum in each one, do you think they will be effective to suppliment my 15w flourescent hood light? Are they at all beneficial?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
How much are those clip-on lamps? $10 each?

Two of those are $20. The bulbs are maybe $4 each, so $8 more. $28.

If you have 20 watts of CF lighting in each, after re-strike and efficient reflectors, I'd say you'd have 20 watts total from the two lamps. Plus your 15W hood...

It's OK for a low to somewhat moderate light tank, but for higher, I'd go with another fixture. Maybe a Coralife.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really am just looking for a low to moderate tank. More lower than mid, java fern, moss, anubias, and maybe just a lower moderate plant.

At Walmart the clamp on lights are about $5. A 15w 6500k CFL is $3.

So I figured around $16 for everything.

But my main concern is if they are effective? I figure with the reflecting globe, it would do well.

So, if I would do that setup, the 15w on each light would qualify as 15w for the WPG rule?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, thanks guys. I am amazed at how far this hobby has come in the 4years since I had to stop!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just curious as to how close I would need to place it to the side of my tank? I was going to have the 40w cfl screw-in to supplement my 15w stock fixture.

How far away does the light source have to be to stop being effective? I was thinking if I was to put one on one side for 6 or 8 hours a day, would light reach the other end of the tank?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts