The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I received a bunch of Fissidens with a little something 'extra' . Being careful, I performed a bleach dip (1:19, 2 min). I divided it into smaller patches and glued some onto the wood.

Fissidens is growing, but on one of the patches glued to wood, I can see strands of cladophora growing. How can I remove/treat that glued patch without risking cladophora spreading ?

I cannot remove the wood as it is well integrated into the aquascape.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to be limited to only one patch so I can try it. Would have though the bleach dip killed cladophora, but seems a small fragment was burried deep enouogh.

Will try excel and see what melts.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
If you haven't had trouble with clado 'chances' are you won't have trouble with it now, pick it out and it won't come back. I put a bit in with a plant purchase and it tried hard to be a pest but all it amounted to was a little tumbleweed I needed to remove a couple times.

What about scraping off that patch, picking out the moss and trying again?

Neither H2O2 or excel have killed moss in my tank but I've never tried to zap clado.

·
Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,344 Posts
I had a similar scenario in the past...

Got some blyxa that had clado on it and I didn't notice it. It started to pop up in a few other places on the tank. If you manually remove it it should not come back.

Clado's saving grace is that it grows in clusters so you can pretty easily spot the problem areas and deal with them. It didn't really spread to many places when I had it

H2O2 also did nothing for me

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your responses.

I spot dosed with some Easy Carbo ( european Excel equivalent ), let's see what dies first...

The reason I did not have troubles is that I did not have any fragments up until now. It is the same as with BBA. If you do not have spores you do not have the algae.

You are absolutely right about it being easy to remove, but not when it gets tangled in moss. Now that is a nightmare I do not want to remember. In this case, my worries are that because of the glue it would be harder to remove the Fissidens, I will brake some algae fragments and ... the geenie is out of the lamp. If the Excel does not work I will try with a sharp knife and carve a little from the wood.

Interesting with the flagfish, however they are not that available here. Would platys eat it ? amano shrimps ?

Hope you are all right and it will not be a problem in the long term. Keep you posted.

Post 333 :D

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Siamese Algae Eaters (Crossocheilus langei) might be worth a try. Or better yet, Reticulated Flying Foxes (Crossocheilus reticulatus).

I haven't had clado, but I had green hair algae, added the reticulateds and it was gone quick. I didn't even have to starve the fish for them to eat it. It's not the same algae, but thought I'd mention and it might be worth a shot. SAE might work. Reticulateds are a relative of SAE, and just so happen to eat algae a little more readily than SAE. Mine are 4 inches long and still ate algae and aren't aggressive (which I hear the opposite for older SAE of this size).

Flagfish I do hear good things about them eating algae, but I hear they are not so peaceful fish. Look great though.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you WaterLife for the fish recommendations, I will keep my eyes open for them in the LFS.

A short term update. The spot treatment with EasyCarbo (~Excel) worked at 1x dose for the aquarium. I did it twice and after a couple of days most of the algae turned brown. The exception are the longer cladophora 'branches' that were outside the area of the dosing. However these are easy to remove now with a pair of tweezers.

As for the Fissidens, some of the leaves turned brown but the plant is still anchored and has green growing points.

I will come back with a longer term results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.