The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually have 5 of these tanks, but one is being redecorated. All have gravel substrate. Nothing fancy about these tanks, except the fish, lol. Basic 15w Incan lighting. In hood built-in filters.

Goldies:

Common females, will be adding male Endler's next week:

HB Trio and Fry:

Soon to be Endler's:

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
Was there a special on ceramic castles?:wink:

Most people set up planted tanks to make a 'natural' scene. You will get some good natured ribbing for the castles here, but do not let it bother you, they are your tanks and you get to make them look like you want them to look.

Anyone who gets nasty to the guy with the little castles will get banned for a day or two, You all have been warned.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I don't like the castles, as do most people here, but as sean said, it's your tank, plus, i bet guppy fry can hide in it real good.
So, do you breed endlers? Could you get a close up of a female endler for me? i'm trying to find some, but all the pics on google are pixely.

BTW: what are you growing under that mesh?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, there was a special on them. I actually ended up with 10 of them, lol, and I expected a "good natured ribbing" when I posted these pictures.

Yes, planted tanks are great for making a natural scene. They're also good for soaking up all those bad things that fish and decaying food produce. That's why I got into plants in the first place.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't like the castles, as do most people here, but as sean said, it's your tank, plus, i bet guppy fry can hide in it real good.
So, do you breed endlers? Could you get a close up of a female endler for me? i'm trying to find some, but all the pics on google are pixely.

BTW: what are you growing under that mesh?
If someone else doesn't get you a pic before my Endler's arrive next week, I can definitely do that for you.

That would be Taiwan Moss under the mesh. It's not doing very well and I'm thinking of pulling it out of the mesh and just setting it directly under the rock

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Cool, thanks.
the moss should grow fine, but it may not be getting any light in some spots. you could put it under the rock as said. I know java moss grows in any conditions.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Only problem I see is the goldfish in the 5 gallon. Other than that they don't look bad at all.

(insert castle joke here).

If you like plants that absorb the fish waste, Anubias and Java fern aren't what you need. They grow too slowly. Get some hornwort, Egeria densa, or watersprite.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only problem I see is the goldfish in the 5 gallon. Other than that they don't look bad at all.

(insert castle joke here).

If you like plants that absorb the fish waste, Anubias and Java fern aren't what you need. They grow too slowly. Get some hornwort, Egeria densa, or watersprite.
Goldies: I'm religious about 20% water changes twice a week. No problems for now. I have a 10g in storage for when they need a larger tank.

Java Fern and Anubias are better than plastic plants at absorbing the waste...
I don't like the look of hornwort, Anacharis doesn't do well when planted and won't stay floating for very long, and I absolutely cannot keep watersprite alive (planted or floating). It may have just been the plants I got, but still...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I really like your tanks. I think the castle is awesome, kinda like your artistic signature on each one. In the 'natural' setups here, the plants are the focus. In yours the plants blend into the rest of the scape, naturally.

I would recommend some Sunset Hygrophila or Rotala Indica if you want some faster growing plants. Both grew well for me when I had my 1g nano.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RES - I don't like the blue/green gravel either. It was just fine when I set that tank up, I needed breeding tanks, the gravel was cheap, and I kinda wanted a little more color than just brown. When I move the goldies into a 10 or 20, I'll redo the substate in there with something else.

·
Registered
420 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.