The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received my first RCS a couple days ago. This tank has only been set up for a few weeks. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I'm going to have trouble with the filter intake. I covered it in a thick layer of Christmas moss (to blend in with the back wall. I'm sure that as the moss grows, it will be fine, but until then... I'm running the filter with extreme care. It doesn't seem to bother the shrimp I have, and I don't expect any little ones for at least a month.

On to the plants. The wall is Christmas Moss. There are two Crypt Wendtii's, some pearl grass, some moneywort and a tiny little plant that I have yet to ID. The larger of the two grids is peacock moss and the smaller is stringy moss. As soon as the mosses grow enough to attach to the surrounding substrate or weigh enough to hold themselves down, I intend to remove the black river rocks.

Lighting: Um... 15W incandescent
Ferts and CO2: None
Filtration: Ocean-Free nano HOB filter
Substrate: Schultz Aquatic Soil

·
Registered
150 Posts
Looks good. That moss wall is going to be fantastic!

A sponge over the intake will save you a LOT of time cleaning it out when it gets clogged. It is pretty easy to take a small Aquaclear sponge and cut a slit so that it will fit over the filter intake.

I used sponges from some no longer made Tetra brand sponge filters (Billi and Brilliant) but will switch to the AC sponges the next time I need them.

I'll look forward to seeing some updates on the tank as it progresses!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good. That moss wall is going to be fantastic!

A sponge over the intake will save you a LOT of time cleaning it out when it gets clogged. It is pretty easy to take a small Aquaclear sponge and cut a slit so that it will fit over the filter intake.

I used sponges from some no longer made Tetra brand sponge filters (Billi and Brilliant) but will switch to the AC sponges the next time I need them.

I'll look forward to seeing some updates on the tank as it progresses!
I'll look into the AC sponge. And I look forward to having some updates to show :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
This nano is going to be freakin' sweet once all that moss grows in! I'm sure the RCS will love it just as much! Are you just going to keep this as a RCS nano? Going to add any driftwood?

I can't wait for updated pictures! :icon_bigg

·
Registered
889 Posts
Like the others said very nice tank and I can't wait to see how it will look when that moss grows :thumbsup:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice, what method did you use to attach the wall to your tank?
I wiggled the bottom between the substrate and the wall. The top I just used a couple twist ties on each corner and hooked them over the top rim. It's not completely perfect, and a couple shrimp are usually hiding out back there, but it doesn't seem to be a problem (yet).

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a quick update. I've had the shrimp for one month now. Two females are berried and about five more are saddled.

There's been an outbreak of green spot algae and hydra. I think the hydra is feeding on the cyclops, so I added a guppy fry this morning. I'll probably pull it out tomorrow morning.

I also did a little rearranging. The pearlgrass was taken over by hydra, so I just pulled it. The stringy moss didn't look very good, so it got pulled as well. The moss wall is beginning to fill in, especially where the light is the brightest. It's just going to have to grow unevenly.

I've been trying to track down some KNO3 because the plants have completely depleted all nitrates, and that's probably a portion of my algae problem. I'll get it online if I can't find it in a shop around here. Tho I bet I can get it at one of the farm supply places.

Just yesterday I switched majors from Civil Eng to Bio Sci. I explained my fish and shrimp breeding to the dept chairman. He was very interested and assigned me to an advisor who does a lot of aquatic research.

** Off to take a new picture, will be edited once I get it

·
Registered
889 Posts
Congratulations on the berried shrimp and on the change of majors. Let me know how you like your new major. I too wanted to be a Civil Engineer but I am really interested in biology especially aquatics wise.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got 9 new shrimp from a different source, so I shouldn't have to introduce new ones for quite some time now!! I was able to get them for $5 with my Endler's, so I figured that I may as well and save myself the shipping cost later.

Still learning how to get good pics of these little buggers (and the tank for that matter). Since these were taken, I've added an algae covered rock between the moneywort and flowerpot cave. It really pulls the tank together. I also think I will be getting my dwarf hairgrass any day now, so that's going to fill in some of the gaps.

On to the pictures!!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The tank is looking really nice. I like the growth of that moss wall :)
Thanks.

And to comment on your previous comment, I will definitely let you know what it's like once I get into it. I'm going to try to get involved in some undergrad research next Spring.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just an update, no pics yet.

I moved some things around and added a "field" of dwarf hairgrass. It's kinda tall right now, but I want to give it some time to settle in before trimming it. I'm proud of the way I think it's going to look, and the shrimp are loving their new plants.

I also ordered some Flourish, so I'll start dosing next week when it arrives.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm parting with the moss wall. Since I put a different bulb in and started dosing Excel, it's growing WAY too fast. Plus it's not even and that's driving me nuts. So, here's a few parting pictures. I think I'll find some nice easy stems to put in the back, maybe some grassy like plant, such as E. Tenellus.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts