The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had some thoughts about using a circulation fan/power head for planted tanks. Could I use these, or are they useless?

I am wanting a little more current because I feel like my filter alone is not creating enough. I want to make sure nutrients and minerals are being dispersed throughout the tank.

Here is my setup so far, fish, hardware and plants.

Inhabitants are in my signature.

Plants:
Anubias barteri x 4
Anubias Nana 1
Amazon sword x 3
Anubias Nana Petite x 4
Frogbit
Water Sprite floating
Pellia ball in the right corner
Java Moss scattered
Hydro S.
And a little micro swords

Equip:
Emperor 400 currently, changing to Eheim 2215 in 2 days.
Aqueon 300W Heater
48" Dual T8 light Fixture w/ 6,500k bulbs

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Well the tank is beautiful. Unless you're uprooting plants or disturbing inhabitants, too much flow isn't a big deal. Why not stick a powerhead in there?

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the tank is beautiful. Unless you're uprooting plants or disturbing inhabitants, too much flow isn't a big deal. Why not stick a powerhead in there?

Whats the difference between powerhead and circulation fan?

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Whats the difference between powerhead and circulation fan?
Difference is I'm not sure what a circulation fan is, I thought you were reaching for a term for power head. They're effective and I see people using them on their tanks. They're typically for saltwater flow.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, we ARE referring to the same thing. So then they are fine to use eh?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 40g breeder with two xp3 and a Koralia 750. If I didn't use a spraybar, I think I'll have too much "force" vs using two spraybars and having enough "flow". A powerhead has min. flow and high force. Water exits thru a small hole causing pressure and forced out while something like a hydor koralia with min. force and high flow spreads water throughout a larger area.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'll check my box when I get home but I bought a small powerhead that is adjustable so you could adjust it to your liking. It either uses suction cups to mount to the glass or two magnets for ease of sliding around I highly recommend it

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I am looking for a smaller powerhead, one with a around 250-300gph. Just create a little something more.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Circulation pump is probably what he was referring to.

Hydor Koralia Nano 240 is a good one not too much flow and it's small and quiet.
+1
Although for a tank the size of yours, I would opt for a somewhat stronger Koralia pump than the nano 240.
I have the 550 on my 70 gal tank and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
+1
Although for a tank the size of yours, I would opt for a somewhat stronger Koralia pump than the nano 240.
I have the 550 on my 70 gal tank and it works like a charm.
Ok I will take that into consideration. So for my 55 Gallon, I am looking at GPH of 500 or more?

Also, in regards to surface agitation, how much should I need for a low tech setup like mine?

The reason for adding a power head, is because I feel the emperor 400 is just not enough flow, and alot of my aquarium water seems stagnant.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Ok I will take that into consideration. So for my 55 Gallon, I am looking at GPH of 500 or more?

Also, in regards to surface agitation, how much should I need for a low tech setup like mine?

The reason for adding a power head, is because I feel the emperor 400 is just not enough flow, and alot of my aquarium water seems stagnant.

The Hydor pump in my planted discus tank moves 550 GPH and I kinda wish it was a little stronger, so I'm sure it would do nicely in your 55 gal.

It will most certainly do away with any stagnancy or 'dead spots' in your tank.
As for surface agitation, it's good to have some, but you don't need a heck of a lot. Even some keeps any film from building up on the surface.

The 2 Aquaclear 110 filters I have on my low-tech tank provide all the surface agitation I need.

Have a look if you care to:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/lolliblues2

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.