The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
You have some limited options to pick from because the size of the tank. Black convicts, angelfish, and firemouths are the ones I can think of from South America that you can add to your tank. The convicts are super aggressive if a pair is form especially during breeding, same goes for the firemouth. Just make sure you don't get a pair. That only gives you a choice of a male from each specie. Do not get a female and male of different species because they might crossbreed and of course, gets aggressive.

I left out the African cichlids mainly because of the hard water requirement.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
H. guttatus (common jewel cichlid you see in most stores) would tear the tank apart. If you want jewels, make sure the species is H. lifalili. Keyhole cichlids, giant kribs, angelfish, festivums, firemouths, t-bars, T. ellioti, a male peacock cichlid... it really depends on what you like and what all is in the tank.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Yeah, although I doubt it's a true H. bimaculatus. Probably a hybrid. Don't buy any jewel cichlid from any of the big box stores. Usually you can find purebred 'good' jewels on aquabid.com.

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
My 55 community tank with z pair of gbr 4 discus and 16 rummys did not even bat a eye at the guppy fry when I tried this in the tank. I was mad then even more as I had to catch all the guppies as they grew up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Okay, I've gotta say a few things first before we talk about fish you want to add.

1. your tank is a 36 gallon bow front
2. is your tank planted or un-planted?
3. you have a rope fish, do you know that this size tank will not really be that great for life?
4. what other fish do you have? What other fish do you possibly want?
5. why a cichlid specifically? would you be open to other suggestions as well?

Now, I have a good deal of experience with cichlids and with bichirs (relatives of the rope fish but bigger and meatier), so I know what I'm saying more or less.

Answer my questions and tell me any other relevant information and I can probably give fish suggestions and the like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.