The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any of the dwarf cichlids that would be able to thrive in a 15g tall tank? It has the same footprint as a 10 gallon, just taller. I was looking at some of the rams, but I am not sure if the 20"x12" would be big enough for them.

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
You could try a pair of Kribs, much hardier then Rams but a little big for a 15g..
Id go with a pair of kribs and a small school of 4-5 zebra danio for movement.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

I looked at the Brevis, but they require water with a PH of 7.8 and higher. Mine is 7.0 - 7.2 so I don't think they would do very well in there. Same thing for the Gold Ocellatus.

I looked at the Kribs, but they get to 3.5" so I thought the tank would be a little to small for them.

I really like the Apistogramma cacatuoides, but from what I have read, they should not be kept in anythign smaller than a 30 gallon tank since you have to have multiple females.

I have been looking at this article and it looks like Rams are my only choice due to tank size, water condition and their spawning habits (Monogamous vs a Harem).

I am still open to other suggestions. I will not be adding these fish until after the holidays.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Your Ph will raise when you add shells for the shell dwellers. I use whale eye shells, I have literally 100's of them in my 75 gallon. I like Multi's, they breed easy, are VERY hardy, and are fun little guys to watch.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I have worked pretty hard to lower the PH. I kinda want to keep it low. From what I know, plants do better in a lower ph as well as most kinds of community fish I am looking at. I am using co2 as well as putting peat in the filter to get it to neutral or below. I also kind of like the black water look.

Besides, I already have a 55gallon tank of African Cichlids at home. That is why I was looking at the Dwarf's. I guess I should have been more specific and stated New world dwarf cichlids. I sincerely appreciate the suggestion, but I am not quite ready to go to a hard water setup just yet.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
You might be able to do some Curvicep Cichlids. I've had mine for over a year and they are about 2-3" long. Got 6 of them in a 40g breeder community. They don't bother any of the fish.

They aren't flashy fish like GBR's or some of the Apistos, but when they mature they have some very nice coloration and patterns. For the life of me, I cannot sex nor breed them but they are awesome fish. Very lively, not shy, and undemanding. Once my camera is working again I will do my best to get some good shots of them.

Biggest issue is FINDING them in my area. Luckily my buddy owned a store at the time and I was able to order them through him. He charged me $2.50 each. Would gladly pay double that easily!

Your Ph will raise when you add shells for the shell dwellers. I use whale eye shells, I have literally 100's of them in my 75 gallon. I like Multi's, they breed easy, are VERY hardy, and are fun little guys to watch.
I would LOVE to use my spare 65g for Multi's. I think it'd look awesome with nothing but sand, gravel, shells, and fish! With all that extra "head room" it'd look even more realistic, to me at least. Sort of....neat.

Problem is I cannot find them any where in my area.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I would LOVE to use my spare 65g for Multi's. I think it'd look awesome with nothing but sand, gravel, shells, and fish! With all that extra "head room" it'd look even more realistic, to me at least. Sort of....neat.

Problem is I cannot find them any where in my area.
Twice now I've order my tangy cichlids from http://www.wetthumbaquatics.com. Both times everyone arrived alive and healthy. I really like their flake food also. I just read they are not going out of business, but starting the process of retiring, whatever that means.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would recommend Apistogramma borellii, or A. trifasciata. Both these species are a tad smaller in size than A. cacatuoides, as well as adaptable. A. borellii is also quite peaceful as far as most cichlids go. I especially love the color variety "Red Mask". I find my A. borellii to be more outgoing, easily greeting me when I visit the tank. A. trifasciata tends to be more shy. If you create a complex, dynamic aquascape this will help them have their own hidey spots.

Most of my Apistos are kept in 15 gallon tanks as trios - although 15g regular (24" x 12") not a tall . I've even kept and breed several in a 10 gallon, although you need to keep a closer eye and have a back up tank. (Sometimes the females can become too protective when guarding fry.) The only Apisto I've had exceptional aggression problems with has been A. baenschi (sp. Inka) - I do not keep these in anything less than 20g long.

Be careful with the Laetacara sp., although many sources label them as being quite peaceful, I've found the opposite true. Quite often LFS may label them as Curviceps but more often they are L. dorsigera. While they do not bother the other fish, once they started pairing up to spawn they are very vicious with each other. Often inflicting deep, deadly, wounds. They have a powerful bite.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I may go with the Apistogramma borellii. I like the Curviceps and Trifasciata, but I want to keep a fairly peaceful tank and would like a fish that is not very shy. I will look into getting a couple of these once I am sure my tank is stabilized again.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts