The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this guy at my lfs and I have no idea what it is. It was just mixed in with "south American cichlids"

I think this is a female too but idk.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Judging from the fact that there are also several african cichlids in that tank (two are visible in your picture), I wouldn't be so sure that that is a South American cichlid...

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
if its in the front, that looks like a female convict tbh

although I'm hesitant to say its a pure convict, but its within the acceptable parameters of what a convict cichlid can be in terms of shape and color

·
Registered
306 Posts
That does look like a female convict. I didn't recognize it since it is so light colored, but that could be due to the stress of being at a pet store.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was what I asumed was the male that I wanted to get a picture of but he was pretty camera shy. Are convicts a bad idea for planted tanks?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Stressed out convict? Seems a bit wierd colored. Hybrid of unknown linage? I would not bet either way right now. One way fish wind up in the "assorted" tank is when nobody knows or can say.
I would not normally recommend convicts for a planted tank. They do have some real attitude problems. Fish with names like "convict" often do have more fight than we like.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Stressed out convict? Seems a bit wierd colored. Hybrid of unknown linage? I would not bet either way right now. One way fish wind up in the "assorted" tank is when nobody knows or can say.
I would not normally recommend convicts for a planted tank. They do have some real attitude problems. Fish with names like "convict" often do have more fight than we like.

We get females in all the time in this color, once they settle in they got back to normal colors.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The only other thing I could see this being is a HRP/convict mutt
Very possible.

I only keep one convict these days, but I have seen them in this color pattern before, when ill, stressed or underfed.

Save this fish only if you have a seriously large tank for your other fish to escape its wrath, or if you plan to keep it solo. I keep my only current convict, a pink male, alone in a 10 gallon with his favorite log that he's been with since he was a fry. He used to live in a 55 with a sibling, but after that sibling died, he would start ramming himself against the walls of the tank.

Tried a 20H, same thing. 20L...same deal. 10 gallons? Happy as a clam. He's 11 years old now, so he's at the tall end of the convict lifespan. I guess it would be about the same size as the territory they'd carve out in the wild...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts