The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Q for the Cichlid experts out there, since several forums are out today for updates and such, I hope there is a plant/Cichlid expert here.
I have 5 1.5-2CM Cichlid fry in a breeder net in my Mbuna tank. They grew a bit, but now are slowing down. I was wondering if I could move them to my Platy tank to grow up some. This tank is prolly near neutral pH and all that, lots of wood, no rocks, like Cichlids like. Would the fry be ok?
I want them in here because none of the fish in this 40breeder will eat them and such, so they will have free safe range of all that space to swim and grow. Once they reach 1in or so, I will move them back to their Mbuna tank.
Please help me. They really aren't thriving in the little net. Thanks!

·
Registered
703 Posts
neutral pH and all that, lots of wood, no rocks, like Cichlids like.
You do realize mbuna means 'rock dweller' and do best in water about 8-8.5 pH while belonging most naturally in an algae rich, rockscaped environment?

anyway, for best growth you should certainly move them to a bigger environment with lots of space to be active, and preferably in more basic water conditions. mbuna come in hundreds of forms and many would rip plates to shreds once they got a bit older, but it could work fine with milder types.

·
Registered
296 Posts
You can grow out fry in a tank without rocks. Just give them clean water and good food.

I find even with mbuna, you can feed higher protein foods than the adults. I feed mine small fish New Life Spectrum and 50% protein brine shrimp flakes.

Just be sure you know what you are going to do with them. They add up fast.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You do realize mbuna means 'rock dweller' and do best in water about 8-8.5 pH while belonging most naturally in an algae rich, rockscaped environment?

anyway, for best growth you should certainly move them to a bigger environment with lots of space to be active, and preferably in more basic water conditions. mbuna come in hundreds of forms and many would rip plates to shreds once they got a bit older, but it could work fine with milder types.
No, you misunderstood what I said. I was describing the 40b as neutral to soft water w/wood and plants. The Cichlid tank is full of rocks, high pH and all that.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can grow out fry in a tank without rocks. Just give them clean water and good food.

I find even with mbuna, you can feed higher protein foods than the adults. I feed mine small fish New Life Spectrum and 50% protein brine shrimp flakes.

Just be sure you know what you are going to do with them. They add up fast.

My issue is that the water is soft and full of wood/plants. I know they will eat plants, though my bigger Mbuna haven't touched any of the trimmings I have been tossing in their tank. I'm sure the tiny fry won't bother them yet either, that's not a concern. It's the water difference I want to know if it will be alright for them or just not acceptable.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No tank of their own available yet. Maybe Tuesday.
Made them a bigger net for them, 4x the size and bigger holes for water exchange. It's the plastic craft mesh, so it's great for them.
And all 6 are still here and growing, I guess they were just hiding whenever I checked on them, yay!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.